Fast Chair - Book Four

Chapter Thirty-Three

——Y/n's POV——

"Y/n! You need to get to the hospital now! It's Leona! Wayne said in a panic on the other side.

"I'll be there as soon as I can" I quickly told Wayne as I hung up.

"Steve! I'll call you when I get the chance!" I said quickly as I rushed to grab my purse and car keys.

"Y/n, where are you going?" Steve asked me.

"To the hospital, something happened to Leona!" I told Steve as I put on my shoes and ran out the door.

*You drove to the hospital with Leona being the only thing on your mind. Upon arrival at the hospital you saw Wayne with Levin in the waiting room*

"Wayne! What happened?!" I asked him in a panic.

"Levin and Leona were playing in the front yard while I was on the porch. I took my eyes off them for not even a second, and the next thing I know Leona is on the ground in pain and Levin is yelling for me" Wayne explained to me while sounding as if he was on the verge of tears.

"Levin, what happened to Leona?" I asked Levin as calmly as I could.

"Me and Leona were playing outside. Leona found a thing in the bushes and she touched it. When she touched it a bright light shot out and knocked her back. I looked over and she was on the floor in pain. Then I went and got Grandpa Wayne" Levin explained to me in a surprisingly calm manner.

*Before you could ask Levin any more questions, a doctor came out looking for Wayne*

"Are you Wayne Munson?" the doctor asked Wayne.

"Yes I am, and this is Leona's mother, Y/n Y/ln" Wayne told the doctor as he gestured towards me.

"Ok then. Leona is stable, but lots of the bone in her legs is shattered. To prevent any internal damage we would like to perform a surgery to remove the bones. Do we have your permission to do so?" the doctor asked me.

"Would she be able to walk after this surgery?" I asked the doctor.

"Unfortunately no, but if you choose not to do the surgery she will be in a lot of pain when moving around" the doctor explained to me.

"Then I give you permission to do the surgery" I told the doctor.

"Ok then" the doctor said as he walked away.

*You sat down next to Wayne and Levin. Then Levin gently tugged on your arm to get your attention*

"Mommy, is Leona going to be okay?" Levin asked me.

"Leona will be perfectly okay once the doctors are done helping her" I explained to him.

*Levin nodded and went back to waiting. After an hour had passed you turned to Wayne*

"Wayne, can you watch Levin for a bit?" I asked Wayne.

"No problem kid" Wayne said as I walked away.

*You walked approached the man behind the reception desk and spoke*

"Hello there, is there a phone that I could use?" I asked the man behind the desk.

"Yes there is, it's right down that hallway" the man told me.

*You walked over to the phone and called your house phone. After a few minutes of ringing, Steve answered*

"Y/n! How is Leona?" Steve asked me over the phone.

"I'll explain how Leona is later, but right now I need you, Dustin, and the book to get down here" I told Steve.

*Steve agreed and after four hours Dustin, Steve, and the book all arrived at the hospital. At that same moment, the doctor from before came out again asking for you*

"Mrs. Y/ln, the surgery was a success, and Leona is awake. At the moment we would recommend only one to two people go see her, but of course you are free to do as you please" the doctor told me.

"Ok then, for now it will just be me and her brother, Levin, will see her" I told the doctor.

*The doctor took you and Levin back to where Leona was. As soon as she laid her eyes on you and Levin you could see her whole face light up. You and Levin sat down on the chairs near her bed*

"Leona, how are you feeling?" I asked her.

"My legs feel wrong, Mommy, what is this?" she asked me tiredly.

"The doctors had to do a surgery that saved your legs, but you can't walk..." I explained softly to Leona.

*Leona froze for a second. You were worried that you told her to soon, or didn't break it to her softly. But then, to your relief, she spoke*

"So does that mean I get one of those fast chairs?" she asked me with excitement in her voice.

"Yes, yes my sugar-pea! You'll get to have a wheelchair" I told her with a smile on my face.

*Another hour passed before the doctor came in to speak with you. You left Levin and Leona in the room and walked out into the hallway with the doctor. As the doctor made a note of something on Leona's chart your eyes caught his name tag, turns out his name was David Keery*

"So, Mrs. Y/ln, we want to keep Leona here for a night or two to keep an eye on her after the surgery, is that okay with you?" Dr. Keery asked me.

"Yes, that's fine, but I also wanted to ask you about the wheelchair situation. Will Leona get one from the hospital, or will I have to go and purchase one later?" I asked him.

"No, you will have to purchase one. But we can size Leona for a chair and order one in, and while you wait for the custom one to come in you can purchase one from us" Dr. Keery explained.

"I'll get Leona sized for one later, for now I'll just purchase one from you guys" told Dr. Keery.

*Dr. Keery nodded and walked off, after he left you went back out to the waiting room and brought Steve, Dustin, Wayne, and the book into Leona's room*

"Uncle Dusty!" Leona yelled out happily as she held her open arms out to him.

"Hey there Leona!" Dustin said back as he hugged Leona.

"Uncle Dusty! Did mama tell you why I'm happy?" Leona said as she let go of Dustin.

"No she didn't, but can you tell me?" Dustin asked Leona.

"Ok! Well I get to have one of those fast chair!" Leona said while smiling from ear to ear.

Dustin froze for a moment unsure how to respond, before he looked at her and jokingly said, "well, no matter how fast of a fast chair you have, you still won't be able to catch me in tag"

As Dustin and Leona kept talking I walked over to Steve and fell into his arms, I felt a small tear welled up in my eye and slowly roll down my cheek. Steve must have felt his chest getting wet or something, because he asked Dustin to watch Levin and Leona before he took me out into the hallway and closed the door behind him.

"Darling, it's okay, let it out" Steve said as he held me close to him.

"Leona can never walk again, she had a surgery that I have no idea how I'm going to pay, she also needs a wheelchair now and I don't have the money for that either. My insurance is absolute shit and barely covers anything. Steve, what if I lose everything-" I vented before Steve cut me off.

"Don't worry about the money, I'll cover it. I'm still on my parents insurance, so think of it as a way of getting back at my parents for being pieces of shit" Steve said, looking down at me with soft eyes.

I couldn't think of the words to say, what possibly do you say to someone who just agreed to pay for your child's wheelchair and surgery. There's nothing I can say to that, so instead I hugged him tight. And for a moment, I felt like I held the whole universe in my arms, and that's when I realized that this is love. Sure, this type of love might not be platonic, but I know this is love.

"Oh muchas gracias Steve, te amo" I whispered softly to him as I continued to hold him.

Steve held me close as if the time itself had stopped, and he never let go of me until I gently pulled away from him. We went back into Leona's room and the three of them stayed their until around 6 PM when Dustin went home. Me, Levin, and Steve stayed the night at the hospital with Leona.