New chances (I)

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

I heard distant voices. Many voices. A whole bunch of them, in fact. I felt a gentle shaking on my shoulder. "Y/n? Y/n wake up." Sighing, I woke up and blinked sleepily. "Miles? What is it?" I eyed his visibly tense face. He also must have just woken up. He demonstrated looking in the other direction with a movement of his head. In response, I lifted my head from his chest and turned around.

It hit me like a blow when I looked into the many faces of the Metkayina. Half of the village was standing at the bars, staring at us. "The Sully woman... What is she doing here...She is with the demon..." The Na'vi spoke wildly. The feeling of shame came up in me. I felt so...exposed. I wanted to be alone with Miles. Thank Eywa that the grate separated us from them. "Get away!" I shouted out of nowhere and I saw some of the villagers flinch for a moment. "There's nothing to see here!" My expression darkened as I noticed they made no move to leave. "Why are you with that demon!...Yeah right you traitor!...He's a monster!" Again there was frantic shouting through the crowd. This time louder and angrier.

I jumped up and wanted to give contra but Miles held me back. "Y/n don't it's not worth it." Our eyes met briefly until I looked back at the Na'vi crowd in front of me. I hissed at them. To all at once. Then I pressed myself against Miles's chest. He had sat up by now and put a hand to my torso.

"What's going on here! My people calm down!" The crowd cleared and let the tribal chief come forward to us. I remembered his name. Tonowari. He eyed Miles and me with a piercing stare. "What is the daughter, of such a great warrior, doing with such a demon like this?" I stared at him but said nothing. "They slept together pressed against each other!" Shouted a Metkayina through the crowd.  Tonowari silenced him with a wave of his hand and sighed. "Is this true?" Again, I gave no answer. Why should I? I didn't owe him anything and it was none of his business.

"Tonowari what's wrong? Did something happen?" The corners of my mouth twitched as I recognized my father's voice. Then he appeared in front of my field of vision. "Indeed." Returned the chief coldly. Then my dad's eyes drifted to me and his gaze abruptly became tense. He eyed Miles' arm that was around my body and exhaled audibly. "Y/n..."

...

"What was that about! It could have been much worse!" Upset, my father paced back and forth. "I'm allowed to see Miles whenever I want! What's the problem?!" I was pissed. Pissed at everyone. I just wanted to be alone with him. To have my peace. To run away with him, but I couldn't. They have locked him up. If I could I would free him but that was impossible for me. I was in the wrong body for that.

"What's the problem, you ask?! Y/n apparently you still don't understand. For these people he is a monster. They would kill him if we weren't here!" Horrified, I looked to the ground. Kill. The word was heavy in my stomach. "Y/n please I just want the best for you." His voice quieted and he knelt down to me. I ran both hands over my face. I already had a headache from all this.

There was a moment of silence. I did not know what to say. "Teach him our customs." My head snapped up. Had I just misheard myself there? "Really?" He closed his eyes for a moment. "Yeah but only on one condition." Attentively, I listened to his words. "Do it at night. Disappear into the forest at dusk, I'll unlock the bars...You mustn't attract any more attention. We can be glad that the Tsahìk and your mother didn't find out about it." I couldn't believe it and had to smile. "Oh thank Eywa." I hugged him tightly. "It's okay." I broke away from him again. "You can trust me dad." He smiled slightly too. "I know."

With a grin on my face, I turned to leave. "But y/n?" My head whipped around. "Yeah?" "Remember what I said. Don't tell anyone about this and..." He stopped short. "...And do ONLY that, too." I knew what he meant even if he didn't say it. But I couldn't promise that. I didn't want to. And yet, I nodded in understanding. "Of course." Then I turned again and was almost around the corner.

"Dad?" His gaze darted to me. "I see you." He smiled at me. "I see you y/n."

꧁ ⸺ ꧂

//Hope you liked it. A little shorter today sry. (811 words)//