Chapter One

New book pooks girl_who_alway_smile ❤️‍🩹

—First Person POV.—

A breath.

Just one breath could determine my chances of getting another kill so as I lean slightly over the bushes below—my movement is slow and careful as to not disturb the leaves with my bow.

I lift it up to aim and as the drawstring is tugged back to graze my cheek, a silent exhale drips from my lungs.

And with the slight twitch of my fingertips, the feathered arrow laced within my bow bursts forwards—cutting through air and forcing its sharp tip into the animals side.

The tall antler wielding creature bellows in surprise, winding up on its hind legs before another arrow meets its thigh and it falls to the ground.

As I jump through the bushes and into the clearing, another arrow is already knocked and ready for the possibility of the animal attempting to fight more.

The grass is disturbed with both my footsteps and the deep crimson liquid now running down the thin wood of my arrows—painting the feathers in its sticky moisture.

As I grow near, the dark honey colored eye of the buck flickers up to me—another mewl escaping its vocal chords while I crouch down to its side.

I gently hush the creature, pulling my knife from the holster latched onto the side of my thigh and using my free hand to grab hold of its antler.

I keep its head still as I click my tongue, taking one last glance towards the bucks glazing eyes before forcing my knife into the side of its neck.

No more noise or thrashing follows my movement, instead I can hear the shortened breath caught in the animals throat as it's head falls limp in my grasp.

I inhale lightly through my nose, finally being able to breathe normally after nearly holding my breath for so long while I was chasing this creature.

Another successful kill, but I didn't have time to relax. For a moment my gaze flickers upwards, catching sight of the orange sky that managed to peak through the leaves above.

With a sigh, I pull my arrows free from the carcass and set my knife back into its holster—noting that I'll need to clean it later when I have the time.

Laying the sack-like blanket onto the floor, I'm quick to move the body onto it before wrapping up the animal and hauling it up over my shoulder.

After lifting the buck into the blanket, my gloved hands were covered in the dark liquid—barely visible due to the black fabric but I could still feel the wetness through.

And another mental note; wash the gloves.

Ducking beneath a tree branch, I'm sure to move so the carcass-filled blanket wouldn't hit anything and possibly get damaged.

The chilled air of the forest spills into my lungs as I inhale once more, eyes focused ahead on a route that would lead me out to safety—and hopefully, I could make it before night takes over.

Brushing the thought aside, I let out a breathy sigh before taking off into the thicket—leaving behind nothing but the few droplets of blood that had dripped from my arrows earlier.

It isn't until the sky is mixed in bright reds and clashing purples that I meet the edge of the Arz, the forbidden forest I had decided to pluck this buck from, and peaked out along the short valleys to catch sight of a village.

Quiet, steadied breathing fluttered past my ears—gently cutting through the deafening silence the Arz provided besides the rustles of its leaves.

My shoes easily meet the grass just outside of the dreaded forest—the rest of my body following and emerging from the other-worldly shadows within.