•31•

Billie turns over in her sleep, instinctively grabbing her pillow and folding it for a better position. You lay awake, gazing at her. She haunts your every thought. Your mind and body are no longer yours, but hers. She has kicked the blankets off of her, the simple patterned cloth hanging over the bed and draped on her legs. You shift your gaze and glance out the window, watching the sun slowly ascend over the city. Soon enough, you'll hear cars and the bustle of people beginning their day. You almost loathe them for what they have- and that's motivation. The morning joggers, moms, and influencers flood the street and never pay attention to one another. None of them realize it, but they share a lot in common. You will never have that luxury again. The luxury of realizing you have the greater power to change your life- or even be happy in it.

You jump as you realize Billie has gotten up. The warm rays of the sun are shining on the now empty bed, the covers picked up off the ground. That's when you see it.

The key, its bronze glare in the sun, just under her silk pillow. It is slowly inched to where you can see, almost as if it also knows it shouldn't be out. You feel your pulse in your wrists, the chains becoming tighter as your body tenses. You want to sit up, but you know she would hear the clanking. You hear the toilet flush and know the moment to react is gone. Sighing, you lay your head back down and watch the city once again.

"Too much screen time," Billie says, walking into view and turning off your favorite landscape motion. Your mouth gapes open, never heard that before from her.

"It's the city-" you begin. She instantly rolls her eyes, setting the remote back on the nightstand. "I hate when you whine, its so fucking annoying."

You look down, remembering her authority. She turns off the sunset lamp and the room becomes dark. Billie walks to the corner with the lamp and switches it on, only a small area of the room is filled with dim lighting now. She paces around, her usual ten laps seeming like twenty when the city isn't on screen. You close your eyes, listening to her bare feet shuffle around on the concrete floor. You don't do this often because then you become too aware of the chains that grip your wrists and ankles to the metal bed. It used to feel as if they got tighter with each breath. Maybe you just stopped breathing now, because it would feel wrong if you weren't tied down.

"It'll be okay, I'll let you out," Billie soothes, suddenly coming up to you and rubbing her thumb on your cheek. Your body freezes, and her touch makes you cringe. She jerks her hand away, her face forming into hurt and disgust. "You don't even care, do you? You don't even fucking realize how much I've helped you." You sense it coming, kind of like muscle memory.

SMACK!

Your head whips toward your side, the stinging of Billie's hand present. Luckily, she missed your eye this time, and you can quickly regain your vision. She steps back, a soft smile on her face. Her eyes are dilated, and she has her head slightly tilted to the side. She seems proud for what she caused you to feel- which was powerless.

"Fuck you." You mutter, letting the words roll off your tongue. You wanted to savor it, the feeling of fighting back when you had the courage. The tangled-up ball of hope seemed possible and not buried deep. Billie scoffs, shaking her head as she looks toward the ground. She kicks her food around, dirt and dust coming up. Her black hair covers up her face, the low lighting amplifying the thick atmosphere. You feel it again- the pulse in your wrists, the tightening of the rusty chains. The punch of reality is never gone for long, not down here.

"Just let me go, please." You whine, closing your eyes and hanging your head downward submissively. You don't let a tear roll down, for you know the consequences crying will have. "I will," Billie starts, crouching down to eye level. She grips your hair and pulls your head back, forcing you to stare into her soul. "When you realize how I saved you from your pathetic life."

Wincing from her words, you feel the chains tighten. "If you didn't pretend to be my fucking girlfriend maybe my life would be better," you spit, letting your words hit like blades. Billie's eyebrows go up as she begins to nod her head, her lips pursed. She suddenly lets go of your hair, your head flying back. She stands up, walking backward, and not breaking eye contact. Again, muscle memory.

Billie lifts her leg up, kicking you in the face. Your nose crunches, the hot blood dripping down onto your chin as your head hits the concrete wall. Billie grips your face, her tongue licking the blood from your chin up. You wince, feeling her on you hurt more than your now broken nose.

"Fucking baby," she mutters, your blood smearing her teeth and a sly smirk present on her face. Your vision becomes blurry, her face doubling and darkness greeting you.

She says the words that haunt you- what you never want to hear before you lose consciousness.

"I'll be here when you wake up."

--

short but sweet, kidnapping billie.

surprise update ig?? anyone still wanna read this lol