Chapter Seventy-Eight

"Enjoy the grounds during your stay." Singh smiles as he welcomes them into the room. i must warn you though..." His face became serious and he looked at the two teens as they stood awkwardly next to one another. "I'm not a man of infinite patience. You have one day. Go to the window for a little demonstration. I think you'll enjoy it, you know." He exits the room after patting Rafe on the shoulder.

A guard closes the door and Rafe moves over to it, pulling at the handle, but once again it was locked. "Hey, hey. You're just done talking? Hey!"

"It's locked." Everleigh mumbles, turning her back to Rafe and walking away from him and towards the window. She pulls the curtains back and peers through the window.

Then she felt a heat appear next to her body. Rafe stood next to her to see Portis being dragged around. "Get off me, man! I didn't do nothing, man!"

"Who the hell is that guy?" Rafe asks her, watching as he was being pulled.

"I know him." Everleigh sighs, "It's Jimmy Portis. He was trying to help me."

Rafe looks at her with confused eyes before looking back out the window again. Carlos Singh appeared again and looked at them in the window from outside. But then, he pulled a gun from his waistband. "Woah, woah, woah."

He turned back towards Portis, and Everleigh watched in a fear she hadn't felt since JJ had been struck with the machete. "Rafe. Rafe what's he gonna do?"

But her question was answered before Rafe even spoke. A gunshot rang through the air and Jimmy collapsed to the ground. Everleigh's breathing sped up and she felt like she was going to throw up. Even Rafe seemed a little nervous, something Everleigh wouldn't of expected considering all of the thoughts that run through his head.

"This diary. Hey, no bullshit. Do you have it?" His breathing was fast and he was pleading at her with his eyes, but she wouldn't look at him. "Everleigh."

The way her name fell from her mouth made her cringe. Weird as it was, the way it came from Rafe, it didn't sound nearly as perfect as the way JJ said it. Only JJ said it right. "No." She deadpans, locking eyes with Rafe.

He rolled his eyes and yawned, walking over to the bed and tossing a pillow on the ground, and taking one of the blankets. "Before you ask any questions, Ev. The bed is yours. I'm gonna try and sleep on it, wake me up in a half hour."

"I don't want the bed." She mumbles quietly, taking a pajama set from one of the drawers in the bedroom.

"Just... just please shut up and take it." He insists, getting down onto the floor and covering himself with the blanket, shutting his eyes.

After changing, she sat herself on the bed. She began to think of any lie she could use to leave. But then again, over the slight stir of Rafe sleeping on the ground at the bottom of the bed, she thought about JJ, John B, and the rest of the Pogues, silently begging for them to be okay, but she couldn't be sure because she had no clue where they might be, and they'd probably risk anything to save her.

She shook her head in frustration. Once she came to a conclusion of a good enough plan, she makes her way to the window, moving the curtains. She started knocking on the window, trying to get a guard to acknowledge her. "Hey, hey. I need to talk to Mr. Singh." She whispered quietly. Hey, go get Mr. Singh."

She was trying to move her mouth so that the guard would be able to read her lips, but he shook his head and turned back around. Everleigh kept knocking, trying to get any guards attention.

"What are you doing?" Rafe asks with a raspy and tired voice, rushing to get to his feet. "Hey. Shut up. Shut up. Hey, what the hell are you doing? What are you doing?"