Chapter Eight

JJ had snuck out of the house in the morning, going around to John B's room. Everleigh had spent the night, sleeping in John B's room. After he had come home from work, him and Everleigh were laying on the couch, talking about the compass, until they heard a banging.

"DCS! I know you're in there!" JJ yells jumping infront of the window.

Everleigh jumps, and John B yells.

"You should have seen your guys' face. Your face was like..." He laughed in between words, then making a weird 'surprised' face. Mocking the twins he had just scared the shit out of.

Later on they were in their volkswagen van.

"I'm just saying, I don't understand why you don't at least try with Kiara. She clearly likes you. She's like, 'Oh, John B.'" JJ starts again, trying to get John B to get with Kiara.

"Is that what she does?" John B simply asks.

"She's sketching about you diving, then she kissed you." Everleigh adds, agreeing with JJ.

"She kissed me on the cheek." John B argues back, rolling his eyes. "It's not like we were making out."

"Low-hanging fruit, bro. Don't pretend you don't notice. I see it in your eyes" JJ says, still arguing. If JJ was one thing, it was relentless.

"You're like, 'I kinda like that,' and you start blushing." Everleigh smirks, waiting for John B's patience to break.

"I blush? Really?" John B says scoffing.

Everleigh and JJ nod.

JJ reaches for the compass, and John B tries to stop him.  "I was just looking at it." He says, turning the compass in his hand, inspecting it. "I gotta admit, your father's compass in Scooter's boat, that's freaky."

"Yeah. That's why we're going to talk to Ms. Lana, figure this whole thing out." John B answers.

"I'm sure she would just love to talk to us." Everleigh smirks.

"It's not like her husband just drowned or anything." JJ adds, turning to Everleigh, then winking.

Once they got to Ms. Lana's house. They all get out of the van, staring at the house.

"Know what this house looks like? Whoever lives here smokes too much weed." JJ says.

Everleigh bites her bottom lip, nervously.

JJ hold her hand, and glass shatters from inside the house. Everleigh flinches, squeezing JJ's hand.

"Bullshit!" Someone from inside the house yells, breaking something else.

"Maybe we should come back." JJ suggests, also squeezing Everleigh's hand. "It's a little too soon."

"No, no, shut up. Shut up, JJ." John B mumbles.

"Tell me where it is, or I'll fuck you up. I'll sink you in the fucking..." The man yells again.

Everleigh's hands shake in fear. Her brother sends a reassuring look her way, almost asking her to just stay strong.

"You're hurting me!" Lana cries.

John B starts inching towards the house, signaling for Everleigh and JJ to follow.