Chapter Sixty-Six

Pope barely moves out of the way in time, letting the cross crash into the cushions below.

"Pope are you okay?" Sarah asks.

JJ immediately runs to Pope's side, "Hey, you good?"

"Yeah, I'm good." Pope answers, laying on the ground. "Just give me one second to, like, catch my breath."

"You did it, Pope." John B says, looking at the cross.

John B and JJ both carefully touch the cross.

"Pope, she's... she's beautiful." JJ smiles.

"I've never seen anything like it." Sarah says, looking at the cross.

"Detail's insane." JJ adds.

Everleigh walks over, pointing to a hole in the cross. "Well, here's why Limbrey wanted that key so bad."

"Good find, princess." JJ says, running his thumb over the keyhole. "How much do you think she's worth? Like, if we melted her old bones down, dude, I'm talking like high billions."

"This belongs in a..." John B tries to stop JJ, but he continues talking. "No! This belongs in a museum."

"What?" JJ asks in disbelief. "So no one sees her?"

"In a museum wheee everyone sees it." John B corrects JJ.

"Who goes to museums anymore?" Everleigh asks, looking at John B in confusion.

"Hey! It's my ancestors' cross!" Pope stops them. "This is bigger than money, and the worlds gotta know the whole truth."

"Yes. If we don't get this shit outta here before Limbrey gets here, nobody's gonna know. So saddle up." John B says, directions the group.

They all grab different parts of the cross. They eventually lift it off the ground, trying to move it.

Pope joins the lifting, standing behind Everleigh.

"Okay, who's not lifting right now?" JJ asks.

"Guys, I can't, it hurts." Everleigh whines, the cross starting to slip out of her hands.

"Everleigh, you can't let go." John B says, "Just hold on."

Pope's hands slip, letting go of the cross, making everyone drop it on the ground.

Pope immediately falls onto a bench, still trying to catch his breath.

Everleigh bites her bottom lip and puts her hands on the wound. It stung and was sore around the outside of it.

"You guys almost dropped it on my foot!" JJ shouts, blaming it on Everleigh and Pope.

"JJ, I can't." Everleigh says, lifting her shirt up.

Whatever was previously healed, was now bleeding again.

"What the hell." Everleigh says, pushing her shirt into the wound to stop the bleeding. "I'm fine."

JJ rolls his eyes and walks over to her, lifting her shirt and looking at the wound. "Whatever was healed, isn't healed anymore." JJ nods, pressing her shirt into the opening.

"Guys! Guys, I'm not okay." Pope says, bringing the attention to himself.

Everleigh quickly limps over to him, "Pope what's wrong?" Everleigh asks him, looking at his face which was swelling up.

"Your eye." Kiara says as all of the Pogues surround Pope. "It looks all puffy."

"You good?" JJ asks him. "You don't look too good, bro."