Chapter Thirty-Nine

Pope chopped some bark off of a tree, while JJ heats up a metal tool with a blowtorch. Everleigh and Kiara watch sadly.

JJ burns letters into the tree, spelling out...

2003           2020
John B Routledge
P4L

JJ holds up his flask. "To John B."

Everleigh lifts up her beer, forces a smile on her face, her eyes puffy and red.

"And Sarah." Kiara adds weakly.

JJ, Everleigh and Pope all take a sip of their drinks sadly.

They bury some of his favorite things by the memorial.

But Everleigh decides to keep the bracelet he'd given her on her 13th birthday with herself. JJ wraps a comforting arm around Everleigh.

Later that night, JJ and Everleigh were sat on the branch of the tree. Kiara and Pope were on the hammock across from them. It was a silent night.

JJ spent the night at Everleigh's. They talked about their favorite memories with John B, making them both cry, but crying is healthy.

The next morning, they both stick and poke matching P4L tattoos on themselves. JJ on his ankle, and Everleigh on the inside of her middle finger.

After a while, Everleigh and JJ picked up a job at a restaurant, working the same hours. They could only ever focus on each other, but still got work done.

Everleigh is serving the table next to JJ's, and they both need to bring drinks over at the same time. Unfortunately JJ got stuck with Kelce and Topper's table.

"I'm just saying, John B is going to hell for what he did to Sheriff Peterkin" the woman says, making Everleigh scoff.

"Guys they're still investigating." Topper chimes in, making Everleigh roll her eyes.

"Yeah I don't know why," the woman speaks again, pissing Everleigh off even more, "It's obvious who did it."

JJ turns away from the table, as well as Everleigh, she starts to make her way closer to JJ, knowing he was uncomfortable.

"Yeah, Exactly." Kelce agrees.

"Shut up." JJ exclaims, just before Everleigh could get to him. "Shut up, Top!"

"JJ just walk away man, it's not the time." Topper says to JJ, looking at Everleigh.

JJ turns towards Everleigh, who linked her arm with JJ's.

"I don't think we were talking to you, Pogue." Kelce remarks.

JJ puts his pitcher down on the table, leaving his arm attached with Everleigh.

"Can I have everybody's attention please?" JJ says standing, tapping a glass with a utensil.

"JJ." Everleigh tries to warn him.

"I have a little announcement to make." He says, looking at all of the people. "My best friend, and my girlfriend's twin brother, John B, did not kill Sheriff Peterkin!"