Chapter Five

John B and JJ carry the keg of beer down to the beach. Pope carrying a stack of cups over his shoulder. Kiara and Everleigh walked together, chatting and laughing. Everleigh quickly caught herself looking down at JJ's arms flexing, carrying the heavy keg. She couldn't shake him from his mind.

They set up the keg and JJ pulls the hose, jokingly squirting it in John B's face.

John B offers Pope a red solo cup, filled with beer. "No, hell no." Pope shakes his head. Pope was not the drinking or smoking type. He rarely did it.

JJ and Everleigh's shoot each other a look before they start pushing each other, playfully fighting to get to the cup first. Everleigh trips JJ, running to John B and grabbing the cup.

JJ stands up, brushing the sand off of him. He sees Everleigh tilting the cup upwards, drinking it just to show off to JJ. JJ looks her up and down. She was wearing a white crop top, which had straps tying around her body, and a pair of ripped denim shorts.

He runs over to her grabbing the cup out of her hand, raising it in the air so she couldn't reach it.

She reached up for it, trying to get the cup back down. "That's not fair." she whines.

"You tripped me, therefore you cheated." He smirks before finishing the beer himself.

She puts on a fake pout before childishly stomping back to the keg to get more.

You can't understand the Outer Banks without understanding the boneyard. It's kinda like a three-layer burrito.

A group of kids, we were pretty chill with walk up to the keg.

There's us and our friends, the working-class derelicts.

After a while, a bunch of kids, from Figure 8, or the rich side of the island. Also walk up asking for a cup. John B teases them. Before they look over at Everleigh.

"Hi, gorgeous." One smirks, obviously checking her out. But before she could even respond, JJ steps in front of her.

"Sorry man, she's taken." He says, his jaw clenched.

Everleigh holds his wrist, telling him to calm down. Telling him to leave and she was alright.

Then, there are the Kooks, the rich second-homers. They're mostly from poncey-ass boarding schools, just rich trustafarian posers. Our natural enemies.

Lastly, a group of kids, all which we didn't know.

And then, there are the Tourons. Totally clueless. Here for a week on vacation with their families. Chum for the sharks.

"Want a beer?" John B blushes. Everleigh rolls her eyes and scoffs. Of course her twin brother already found someone to flirt with throughout the night.

Everleigh made her way through the party, John B was talking to the girl from earlier, Pope was talking about dead bodies, and Kiara was talking about zodiac signs. Until her attention was turned to someone climbing an old wooden buoy.

Kiara looked over at Everleigh, "What is she doing here?" Kiara asks, with an attitude in her voice. Everleigh simply shrugged in response.

That's Sarah Cameron. Kook princess. Kiara's best friend in the ninth grade, worst enemy in the tenth grade. John B work's on her dad's boats, so, you know, he's seen her around.

"What are you doing?" A blonde haired boy yells up to the princess.

Then that's Topper, her not so pleasant boyfriend. Topper actually thinks Pogues were bred to mow lawns.