Chapter Twenty-Nine

The next morning, Everleigh woke up in JJ's arms. She smiled at his touch, slowly turning to look it him without waking him up. She smiles at how peaceful he looked in his sleep.

"Morning princess." He mumbles in a low raspy voice.

"Good morning." She replies softly, touching his face. "I'm sorry, did I wake you?"

He hums no, leaving his eyes closed.

"How are you feeling?" She asks running a hand through his hair.

He found her hand, pulling it down and starts drawing shapes onto the top of it. "I'm okay." He says, giving her hand a squeeze.

"Good." She smiles, placing a kiss on his head. "Pope and Kie are coming, we have to get up."

JJ groans, pushing his face into his pillow.

"I know, I'm sorry." She apologizes.

He sits up, cursing under his breath at the pain.

Everleigh places a hand on his back, frowning at the sound of him struggling. She gets out of bed, and grabs a bikini, a cropped t-shirt, and shorts. "There should be some of your close laying somewhere around the house."

JJ nods, and Everleigh goes to the bathroom to change, not yet comfortable changing infront of JJ.

Later on, Kiara and Pope had come over. Kiara was sitting in the wagon they were using to get the gold out of the well. Pope was testing it. Everleigh and JJ sat on the edge of the hot tub, still containing water from the previous night. JJ had a beer in hand, as well as Everleigh.

"How's it feeling?" Pope asks Kiara.

Kiara looks down from the wagon, "Feels good."

"Taking you down." Pope says, lowering the wagon.

"John B pullin' a Houdini." JJ says, putting his other leg into the water, and placing his beer into a cup holder.

Pope turns and looks at Everleigh, "Yeah, where is he? I got my scholarship interview tomorrow. We gotta get this done!"

Everleigh shrugs, not knowing the answer. "He went fishing with Ward today."

Then out of no where, John B storms in.

"Speak of the devil. Hey!" JJ says, spotting John B.
"Dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything." JJ lies.

"No, he did not. I did that." Pope corrects him, rolling his eyes.

"Hey." Everleigh says, looking at her twin brother.

John B ignores everyone, storming inside.

"Okay, that's it?" JJ asks.

"Uh... what's that all about?" Pope adds.

"I was gonna ask you the same question." JJ says, stepping out of the hot tub, then helping Everleigh out.

When they get inside, John B is searching through the drawers and cabinets.

"You all right, man? What... what's up?" Pope asks.

"What are you looking for?" Kiara asks, looking at John B.

"Dude, just talk to us, what's wrong?" Everleigh asks, standing next to JJ.

JJ looks at Everleigh quickly, then back at John B, "Bro, what's going on?"

John B lifts up the couch cushion, grabbing the gun from beneath it, and looks at it for a second.

JJ immediately steps up to him. "John B, what do you need the gun for?"

JJ tries to stop John B, "Talk to us!" He shouts. John B shoves JJ onto the pullout couch next to him.