Chapter Forty-Five

"They're a bunch of fancy people. They've had like three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, three hundred years." Kiara explains.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ sighs, looking out the window.

"Damn straight." Everleigh agrees.

They pull up in front of the house that the letter said to go to.

"You sure this is it, Pope?" JJ asks, looking at the house.

"Pretty sure." Pope mumbles, opening the door.

Everleigh smiles, "Let's go, get out." Everleigh tells JJ eagerly.

"Alright." JJ says, opening the door and stepping out. He offers his hand to Everleigh and she takes it, placing a kiss on his lips, making him smile. They hold hands as they walk up to the front door.

"Fat city for sure." Everleigh says, looking around.

"Twenty-seven King street." Pope says, holding up the letter to the house.

"Talk about home security." JJ says, looking at the spikes on the fence.

Everleigh pulls JJ closer to her. She had a bad gut feeling. JJ noticed her discomfort, and started to draw shapes on the top of her hand.

"Are those spikes to keep people out?" JJ asks.

"No." Kiara replies bluntly.

Pope takes a deep breath, "The slave quarters are over there."

"The spikes were to keep people in." Everleigh says sadly.

They walk up to the door, and Pope knocks. "You think that was too much?"

"It echoed through the entire house. That's for sure." JJ responds.

"Someone had to of heard of." Everleigh agrees.

"Maybe nobody's home." Kiara says sadly.

Pope knocks again, but is cut off by the door opening.

The man looks around, and then smiles, "You must be Pope." He says, pointing at Pope.

"Uhm... Are you Mr. Limbrey?" Pope asks nervously.

"Ms." He corrects Pope. "Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday.

"Oh, uhm, I'm sorry." Pope stutters, "My car broke down on the way up here."

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville." JJ explains.

"Sorry 'bout that." Everleigh says quietly.

"Yeah, she was uh, real upset when you didn't show up." The man says, looking at each teen.

"We tried to call." Kiara steps in. "But there's no number on the invitation. We got here as fast as we could."

"She also expected you to come alone." The man says to Pope.

"I mean, these are my friends. They helped to find the Royal Merchant too..." Pope tries to explain.

"The instructions were explicit." The man interrupts him. "Your friends can stay outside."

"See, we kind of are inseparable, like we do everything together." Everleigh tries.

"We're kind of a package deal, man." JJ supports her.

"JJ, Ev." Pope stops them, "It's okay, I got this. I'll be good."

"Yeah." Kiara agrees. "We'll be right here."