Chapter Sixty-Three

"Okay, maybe we can walk from here." Pope suggests as they all stand in the nasty water.

Everleigh's black ripped jeans become soaked, and her white vans fill with water.

"What? And leave the Twinkie?" John B asks, throwing his arm in the air. "The tides coming in"

"So what are we supposed to do?" Sarah asks.

"Not stay here." JJ says bluntly.

"I can take my dad's truck." Kiara says, shrugging her shoulders.

"Kie are you sure?" John B asks her.

"How much worse can it get?" Kiara asks.

"Actually, it could get a lot worse. They could send you away, they could make you move, they could ground you..." Everleigh rambles.

"Okay, Everleigh. I get it." Kiara stops her.

"What I'm trying to say is, I'll do it. I'm better at sneaking around, and your parents probably already hate me." Everleigh smiles.

"So you want to break into my house, and steal my dads truck?" Kiara says, furrowing her brows at Everleigh.

"That just about sums it up." Everleigh nods.

"We need something to pull her out with." JJ says. "There's the winch at the chateau. That's, like, two miles."

"Yeah that's a good idea." Kiara says, "Let's send the two lovebirds on a mission together so they can show up after hooking up and probably not have the right things."

Everleigh smirks at Kiara, "We can wait until after to hookup. How about you just let us do what we do best."

"Well, if you're gonna do it, nows the time to do it." John B says, signaling JJ and Everleigh to leave. "Tides coming in, Twinkie's going underwater."

"Double time, Ev." JJ says, holding her hand and walking through the water, "Gotta go."

They walk to Kiara's house, sneaking behind the fence.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" JJ asks her. "A little best friend's dad theft auto?"

"Yep." Everleigh smiles, opening the fence and sneaking in.

Everleigh peaks her head around the corner, looking at Kiara's parents having a good time.

It made her miss her parents. Even though they never really had that good of a relationship, she still wanted parents that loved each other, and loved their children equally.

She shakes her head, grabbing the keys off of the table beside her and walks out of the house, jingling the keys at JJ, tossing them to him.

"I'm so proud of you." He smiles, kissing her head then sitting in the drivers seat.

They drive to their next location chatting about the plan and pretty much just life in general.

As they pull up to JJ's chateau Everleigh immediately feels a change in the atmosphere.

"This'll only take a second. It's in the surf shack. I'll be right back." JJ says, getting out of the car. Leaving it on but in park.

"Be right out." JJ says, sprinting away.

His foot gets caught on some weeds, making him trip and fall over.

Everleigh starts to crack up, watching JJ scramble to his feet.

"I'm okay!" He shouts, continuing his run.

He leans over and grabs something, then looking around.

Suddenly, he disappears behind a wall, making Everleigh furrow her brows in confusion.