ⅩⅩⅩⅩⅠⅩ. 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐢𝐬... 𝐓𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠

"I still can't believe you didn't help us cheat," Fabian remarked, crossing his arms and looking at Virginia with mock-anger.

Gideon chortled and folded his arms behind his head. He leaned backwards against the red couch and grinned cockily. "I didn't need the help, I studied with my one true love, speaking of which-" he stood hastily when he saw Emmeline, Mia and Vivienne climb through the portrait hole. "Emmi, darling!" he called out across the common room. She sent him a murderous glare and gave him the finger. He sighed dramatically before falling back down on the couch.

"Seriously stop," Virginia said, drawing her face into an expression of mock-disgust, "you sound more like James everyday."

"Aw don't hurt me like that Ia," Gideon said with a smirk, "I don't want to think that my darling Emmi will still snub me in our fourth year. Although I know she does love me, I mean she helped me study of course."

Virginia chuckled, "oh I do so wish they would give us our grades... like now. I'm dying to know what year I'll be entering as... I mean being a second year for class wouldn't be so bad but I mean... you know."

"We do," Gideon and Fabian chorused.

"Good news!" Lily sang- giving them all a start. She bounced into the room and practically skipped over to Virginia where she sat with the twins. "Professor Kunlo's leg finally gave out, he's unable to walk and due how incredibly inaccessible this castle is - he's out of a job."

"That's... great?" Virginia said, raising her eyebrows as she stared up at the redhead.

"It means we all get O's, that's the rule! Outstanding on our exams due to an unfortunate teacher accident. So I guess Kunlo is good for never using a cane. And frankly, he wasn't a very good teacher either." She shrugged, Virginia couldn't exactly disagree with that statement, "anyway Gin, come on up to the dorm, I've got to corral everyone. Maybe this will be the year when I don't have to pack up everyone else's stuff." She didn't look very sure of that statement.

Virginia didn't feel as much glee at the suffering of the poor professor as her best friend did - but she was rather glad. She ruffled Fabian and Gideon's hair before scrambling after Lily.

The rest of their roommates were already gathered in their dormitory.

"We're not leaving tomorrow, I refuse to accept it," Alice said resolutely. She was sitting on top of her trunk, all of her things scattered across the floor and her bed, "so I don't need to clean or pack."

"Oh Lily thank god," Dorcas said with a relieved grin dawning on her exhausted looking face when she saw her, "Al's in the rut again, just chucked everything out of her trunk- Marlene is in her trunk and refuses to come out and well... Mary... is trying."

"And failing," Mary wailed, looking on the verge of a nervous breakdown as fruitlessly tried to get her overstuffed trunk to close, "how did this fit when I arrived? Someone explain? Someone, anyone give me a reason?!"

Lily put her hands on her hips and a motherly smile appeared on her face, "I forgot how much Hogwarts was my home." Virginia grinned from behind her. Lily turned back around to look at her, "I'll grab Alice and we'll sit near the Marlene filled trunk, I'll talk them down off of whatever the hell-heck," she corrected herself awkwardly (and needlessly, but Virginia appreciated the effort), "you're on Mary duty."

Virginia nodded her agreement and trotted over to the girl. "C'mon Mare, let's get everything out and then we can repack?"

"It's useless," she groaned.

"We can do it," Virginia encouraged softly, "trust me, I'm the best organizer this side of the Atlantic." Mary shook her head and let out a snicker.

Two hours later, all the residents of the room had calmed down and fully packed themselves up. They sat in a circle and chatted about trivial things before Mary checked her watch, "c'mon Gin, Al - we have that dumb quintuple or whatever date thing."

Virginia groaned in response and dragged herself to her feet, "Last chance for you to come Lil, James would be overjoyed."

She shook her head vigorously, "not a chance. He can stick-" her eyes landed on Dorcas and Marlene sitting practically in each other's laps. "Uh wait, sure, I'll go." The room blanketed in silence. "I mean Johanna and Remus are going as friends right?"

Virginia had a feeling it was more than that but she kept those reservations to herself. Alice nodded, a small smile on her face.

The four girls left the couple alone, although each one thought the other didn't know about Marlene and Dorcas. The two were terrible at keeping their own secrets but Lily, Alice, Mary and Virginia were tightlipped - so the 'secret' was never discussed.

Standing just outside of the portrait hole were the four Marauders, Johanna Shacklebolt and Frank Longbottom. Alice rushed into her boyfriend's arms and he picked her up. It could be seen as comical how much taller he was than her. Mary hooked her arm around Peter's. James tentatively walked over to Lily with hopeful eyes, he reached out his hand for her to hold but she stared at him blankly. He dropped it soon after. Johanna was already chatting with Remus, they stood awkwardly close but looked like each refused to make contact with the other.

Virginia leapt up on Sirius's back when she saw he was turned away from her and talking to Johanna and Remus. He went pitching forward and chuckled loudly. He put his hands on her thighs to hold her up and she wrapped her arms around his neck. A warm glow filled her stomach.

"Alright, off to the Black Lake," James announced loudly to the rowdy crew, there was a ripple of cheers and the collection of couples headed outside. As soon as they had left the building Alice and Frank broke into a sprint, each one of them silently competing to see who could strip down to their swimwear the quickest. James did her best not to gape at Lily when she took off her thick cardigan and jeans, tossing them disinterestedly in the grass before lowering herself in the lake. James quickly took off his shirt, it landed next to Lily's things. Virginia could have sworn she saw Lily's face go bright red.

Johanna and Remus leaned with their backs against a large tree near the lake, chatting amicably. Mary, Peter, Virginia and Sirius began a muggle game of tag that was started by Mary. She had wanted to play the game ever since Virginia had told her about it. It ended with Peter falling into the lake, fully clothed. The other three plunged in the same way a few moments after.

When Sirius pulled Virginia from the water and cast a drying spell on them both, she leaned up against him. Under the beating sun by the side of the Black Lake Sirius Black and Virginia Waters felt at peace.

A/N...

hello my darlings, I really hope you like this update! The story of Virginia and Sirius is certainly winding down but I hope it's still an interesting read!