Ⅶ. 𝐏𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐲 𝐒𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐫

When she entered the room she saw Lily sitting criss crossed on her bed. Her red hair was pulled back into two French braids. She had an assortment of items laid across her bed which Virginia had to assume was for their lesson.

Marlene sat on the floor with Mary kneeling behind her. Mary looked up at Virginia, "want me to braid your hair too? Alice is getting snacks from the kitchen and we're having a bit of a PJ Slumber Party tonight. We're planning matching and Dorcas," Mary twisted around to look at the girl she mentioned, "I think she got you a pair of the matching jammies?"

Dorcas looked over, "yup. Came in a few hours ago. Actually, I used my family's fastest owl. They're in your trunk."

Virginia nodded slowly, resolving to talk with her later about sending them back since she couldn't afford them. "And uh no thanks, my hair is best like this."

"Aww please," Mary gave her puppy dog eyes from the floor.

Virginia looked around the room, "okay," she said with a sureness she didn't feel. Mary gave a little squeak of excitement before returning to Marlene's hair. Virginia shrugged and shuffled over to Lily's bed. "Ready?"

Lily grinned up at her, "absolutely I am. C'mon sit down, I'll close the curtains so those buffoons don't distract us." The way she said buffoons was so loving that it made Virginia's heart hurt a little. She'd never been insulted in a loving way. She sat up on the bed and Lily dragged the curtains until they enveloped the bed. "So first up the levitation charm."

"Okay so do you just say, Levitate and wiggle the wand," Virginia asked, making squiggly motions in the air.

Lily's eyes widened to the size of saucers, "goodness no! There is always an incantation and a spell pattern." Virginia nodded, taking the information in for future knowledge. "For this one you say - Wingardium Leviosa and the motion is a swish and flick." She demonstrated, making her quill rise up into the air. She twirled it around a bit before having it come in for a landing.

Virginia smiled a bit, "Wingardium Leviosa." She swished. She flicked. Nothing happened.

Lily shrugged, looking unperturbed, "don't worry, it took all of us a lot of tries. Keep going."

Only fifteen tries later yielded no better results. Lily made sure her pronunciation was perfect. Held her hands to help her make the motion. Nothing happened.

"You said Professor Kunlo gave you this?" Lily took it and tried the spell herself. The quill went up, up, up into the air. She frowned to herself and sheepishly handed it back.

"Uh... don't feel bad Lily," Virginia said awkwardly, "if you think you're a bad teacher you're not, I've just never done this before. Y'know? Why don't we try another spell?"

Five spells later and Virginia learned that each was as unsuccessful as the last.

Virginia threw up her hands, "who's to even say I'm not just a muggle."

"Me," Lily said, "and I'm not just being nice, you wouldn't be able to see the castle if you were a muggle. And you can't be a squib because your parents are non-magical. The first years... they might get these spells before you. You've had your magic locked up for years and it's a wonder you're not an obscurial honestly, that's impressive in of itself. A lot of the kids have been allowed to practice a bit before here but you've had to keep it under wraps... it's going to take a bit to undo that I guess."

Virginia stared at her after she finished her little speech, "that makes sense... a lot actually."

"And in the meantime? You can be good at Herbology and History of Magic and Potions and Astronomy and whatever other classes you've got that need spells."

"Thank you Lily," she said, smiling over at her.

"Anytime, I'm here for you - always."

"Same for you."

Lily leaned forward and wrapped her arms around Virginia. She felt herself stiffen and Lily pulled back instantly, "sorry did I make you uncomfortable."

Virginia shook her head, "no I'm just not used to those. Are they more common in the wizard community?"

Lily gave her a sad little smile, "a bit yeah. But personally, I'm not from here. I'm a Muggleborn too. There's still a lot to learn about this community. In a room full of purebloods... I've always felt a little bit inferior. I'm glad you're here now and I wish you'd come three years ago. You're amazing."

"Friends then?" Virginia said, her eyes wide and she prayed silently that she wouldn't be shot down.

"Best ones," Lily extended her pinky towards Virginia, "pinky swear?" Virginia grinned and took it with her own. They moved up and down like they were shaking hands and then separated. "Now, we should get changed into our pajamas and join the party."

A/N ...

sorry this one's short but it was either one short or one super long one since there wasn't a good place to break it lol.