Ⅹ. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐘𝐨𝐮

Spells became an important part of the day to day lessons starting Wednesday. And luckily Virginia wasn't alone in her inability to perform spells in a decent manner. Although at least Gideon could do something, even if it was just sparks and the complexity wrong transfiguration. But nobody how many times she waved the wand, said the spell and grumbled under her breath afterwards - nothing happened.

When she arrived a little before potions on her second Thursday, Sirius was up on top of the table while the other three boys worked around him. When Sirius saw Virginia, his snarky expression changed to a grin as he hopped down and made his way over to her.

"Can you change your appearance? Metamorphmargus?" Sirius asked, tilting his to one side.

"And it wouldn't be modest if she looked like anything else? Real fine compliment there loverboy," James chuckled as he added some Wormroot to his potion, taking a step back. A small cloud of purple gas exploded, he smiled and continued working.

Potions was recognized as the only place the boys were allowed to guess. The more times they did- the more outlandish they became. However at the beginning of every class - they were always at least a little educated.

"Are you a creature of some kind?" Remus asked, not looking up as he tipped a vial into his cauldron, "like a satyr?"

She chuckled and lifted up the bottom of her pant leg, "no fur I'm afraid."

"Are you an animagus?" Peter squeaked, "one of those things that can change into an animal but if you tried to change back you'd be naked."

"You wouldn't-" James started before clearing his throat and looking pointedly back down at his potion.

After Potions and Lunch, Virginia found herself back in the hellish experience that was Transfiguration.

"Beetles to bobby-pins today," said Professor McGonagall as they shuffled into the room.

As usual, Mia Crestfield was the first successful one. Then came Fabian followed by a random array of students from other houses. Last was sometimes Gideon, if he managed to do anything at all. Today he succeeded in making the beetle look a lot longer and thinner. When the three stood up to exit the classroom, Professor McGonagall cleared her throat. Virginia looked up to see her sternly waving her hand to encourage her approach.

"You guys go ahead," she grimaced, walking across the room to her desk. Gideon and Fabian looked at each other but shrugged, heading out together.

"I don't need to tell you that you're struggling," the Professor cut right to the chase when the room had emptied. Virginia could only manage a nod. "I have decided to set you up with a tutor- I assumed you'd be most comfortable with someone you know, in fourth year rather than anything higher."

"Yes please," Virginia said, feeling her nerves ease.

"I have assigned the top scoring person in the Fourth Year to your aid. They'll be waiting in the library for your first lesson as this is one of their free periods."

"Uh Miss, I have Charms next period actually," she said awkwardly, although she wished silently that she could indeed go and spend the time with Lily.

"Don't worry- I have informed Professor Flitwick and besides - it's clear to us both you wouldn't achieve anything in his class anyway."

Virginia knew she spoke the truth - but her words did sting a little, "I'll head to the library right now then."

She exited the room, trying to recall the path to the library. After a few twists and turns she arrived. She opened the door expecting to see Lily sat at a table surrounded by books. But Lily was nowhere to be found. Instead positioned at a table in the corner - was Sirius Black.