ⅩⅩⅡ. 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐈𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐬

"Remember that boy?" Virginia asked, leaning her head against the stall door with a sigh.

"The one who turned out to be a shithead?" BG asked, sounding almost amused.

"We're uh- friends again... actually. See he did this really amazing gesture and it made me remember this other really cool thing he did... of course I haven't forgotten but I'll forgive."

"Hm," she replied, "I suppose I get that."

"So what's new with you?" Virginia asked, loving the lack of judgment in BG's voice. Lily had shaken her head and tutted softly. Marlene and Dorcas had exchanged looks with barely concealed dismay. Alice had just looked at her with sympathy. Mary was the only one on her side, though she was mostly ranting about Cliff.

"Not much honestly, I'm going to have to start going to Divination again. I heard wind that Professor Gonn is coming back next week," she said, sounding annoyed. 

Virginia groaned a bit, "I was so sure we'd just get to do the dream journal for the rest of the year."

BG chuckled, "being away from home is nice and having you is even better. I can tell you anything." It was a rather random fact but one Virginia didn't disagree with. 

"I agree," she grinned to herself. Part of her wanted to meet BG. For the stall to open so she could give her a hug. But the other part knew things would change immediately. And not for the better. The secret would stay, as secrets so commonly do. "Oh I got a letter," she said in a chopped voice when she remembered. 

"Oh? Open it and read it!" BG said cheerily.

Virginia broke the seal and flourished it dramatically. She realized after this that BG had been unable to see that and she almost laughed to herself.

To My Dearest Darling Niece,

I am writing to inform you of Grandmother's recent illness. Due to her current living situation she is unable to get help as you well know. I hope all is well at your boarding school and I hope you are making many friends. I look forward to hearing all your stories. I would like to remind you that this summer you'll be staying at Camp Aunt Georgina's. Of course all A's or whatever your equivalent will be a requirement but you'll have no trouble haha.

Your favorite,

Aunt Georgina

Virginia scowled at the letter. She hated that her Grandmother couldn't leave the nunnery to get medical help. But she knew she'd get better - her Grandmother was the toughest lady she knew.

"All Exceeds Expectations? No pressure," BG chortled.

Virginia laughed humorlessly in return, "now speaking of the newly returning class- I'm going to go study with my roommates."

"Have fun BG, see you next week."

"Until then BG." 

With that, Virginia left the bathroom and immediately took off down the hall. She was putting most of her attention to getting as far away from the bathroom as possible and thus wasn't watching where she was going. So, of course, she ran straight into someone walking the opposite direction.

Virginia grimaced and started to formulate an apology, before she saw who she had run into, "so sorry Pandora," she said without any conviction.

Pandora's nostrils flared, "don't be sorry, I'm a bit... distracted today. After all, something exciting just happened so the fault is all mine." Despite the fact that she pinned the blame on herself, she gave no indication of wanting to apologize.