ⅩⅩⅠ. 𝐕𝐢𝐫𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐚 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐖𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐫

Virginia's heart was beating in her throat as she made her way to the Quidditch Pitch. Last night had been an odd affair - full of Alice pushing her to eat ice cream, Marlene and Dorcas tussling again and Mary's consistent strategy talk. She had been nervous then, but it was nothing compared to how she felt now.

"James," she called out as soon as she saw him exit the boys changing room, "do- do you have any techniques? For being a seeker?"

James grinned broadly, "aw Ginny, I thought you'd never ask."

She smiled back at James. She hadn't realized how much she had missed everything about the boy. She had become such good friends with him in only a matter of days but then again they hadn't spoken in weeks. Just before James began, Sirius also emerged. He stood awkwardly next to James, shuffling his feet. Virginia gave him a cold stare and turned away, "I'll talk to you later James."

Virginia headed to the center of the pitch. She gripped Mary's arm for support when she saw the opposing Ravenclaws on the other side of Madam Pilch.

Madam Pilch released the Bludgers first, they hung still and menacing above the players. The snitch came next, it twisted around Virginia's head in a tantalizing way before zooming into the distance. She felt her nerves rise, she could not see it at all now.

"Captains, shake hands," Madam Pilch instructed. Alaric stepped forward to shake the hand of Amelia Bones. She was tall and severe with high cheekbones and thin lips. Her brother, Edgar, was the spitting image of her. They were the beaters with muscles enough to prove they were rather good.

Virginia felt herself shake as she gripped the handle of her broom.

Her eyes locked with Cliff, who wiggled his eyebrows at her. She found it in her to roll her eyes.

"Now the Quaffle," Madam Pilch reached and grabbed the ball. Everyone on both teams slowly rose into the sky. She tossed it up into the air with one hand, blowing the whistle in one sharp blast.

"And they're off," Molly Prewett announced with excitement. She was standing in the teacher's stands with her wand held to her throat to amplify her voice. "The Quaffle is seized by Gryffindor Chaser Mary MacDonald. She's tearing down the pitch, she dodges Dearborn, dodges - oh and a near miss of bludger to the arm from Bones er- the girl Bones."

Virginia gasped as she watched Mary drop the quaffle as she narrowly rolled out of the way.

"Dearborn whizzes down the pitch and- ten points to Ravenclaw!" Molly said, sounding considerably more dull than before. Virginia got the definite impression that she favored her own house over that of the eagle.

Virginia heard the distinct sounds of Fabian and Gideon booing loudly from the stands. When they saw her, they waved madly. She chuckled to herself, her eyes scanning the rest of the seas. When she saw Mia, Vivienne and Emmeline, she grinned broadly. The three had crafted a magnificent sign that said Virginia is Winner in large print and Gryffindor colors.

Virginia smiled to herself, taking a deep breath in and out. She scanned the pitch for any sign of the snitch but came up with nothing. She eyed Cliff. He too was positioned near the middle of the pitch, his eyes trailing over everything.

James caught Virginia's eye and made a circling motion with his finger. She cocked her head to one side in utter confusion. He took that to mean he had to be more energetic. Her eyes were wide and befuddled until she finally got what he meant. She started to make slow circles around the pitch, rising in elevation a tiny bit with every new circle. Now below her, the game raged on. Ravenclaw had succeeded in getting thirty more points. Fabian and Gideon had taken to jeering at their older brother. And Molly started to join them when she caught McGonagall's eye and stopped.