ⅩⅨ. 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐅𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

(A/N... Yes I know I have an aesthetic making problem. The faceclaim is Caleb Landry Jones - for Alaric Weasley)

"Welcome students," came the cheer from the Captain. He was a tall fifth year boy named Alaric Weasley. He had a friendly smile full of crooked teeth and flaming red hair.

"Which one is that?" Virginia asked, leaning over to Mary, "Albert's the Quidditch legend who graduated and left the team to him, right? And is he the one dating Molly Prewett?"

"No," Mary shook her head, "Molly's dating Arthur. They're both Seventh years."

"Makes sense," Virginia shrugged, "I can't imagine the twins hating anyone who plays Quidditch. And you can be sure they don't like Molly's boyfriend."

Mary clucked her tongue, "the word boyfriend is disgusting me right now."

Virginia put a hand on her shoulder, "I'm sorry about Peter. But you don't have to be mad at him on my behalf or anything."

Mary smiled wryly and she opened her mouth to say something in return but then Alaric spoke over her. "Now," he clapped his hands together, "let's split up into groups. Keepers by the Ravenclaw stand, Seekers by the Quidditch Box, Chasers by me, and Beaters closest to the goals."

Mary squeezed Virginia's hand, "good luck." Before Virginia could reply, Mary had walked off to join the Keepers. Virginia shrugged and walked over to Alaric. Up close she could make out that he was rakishly handsome and yet exuded innocence. The type of person who made you feel comfortable but also made you want to make out with them. Of course, Virginia could register none of this and couldn't even recognize her attraction.

"Virginia Waters?" Alaric asked, pushing past a few people to stand next to her, "you're the new girl prodigy right? It's good to see you here."

"Uh... I would not say prodigy more mildly decent."

"Ah modest, very becoming," he winked and she felt her face grow bright red. She was very glad he then turned away to issue assignments because whatever words were going to come out next would be gibberish. Virginia swallowed forcefully, before looking to see where everyone was. Sirius stood with Mary by the beaters and James stood with his chest puffed out by the seekers. "And for the chasers... you'll have a race. One end to the other and I'll split you into two teams to play keep away."

Throwing and catching? Not with these butterfingers... Virginia's nose scrunched up. She had known she wouldn't make the team but she didn't really feel like publicly humiliating herself. She knew she couldn't leave Mary so she mounted the awful, school issued broom and took to the air with some other flyers.

On Virginia's team were four girls each with varying shades of brown hair and determined looks on their faces. One of them passed the ball to her quickly, it was a sharp pass - one she was not expecting. It fell through her fingertips and into the hands of someone on the other team. The rest of the hour passed without much improvement. She missed every time she shot the ball, passed so badly to her teammates that it went directly to the other one and got a Quaffle to the face more than twice.

The fourth time she got a ball to the face, she landed next to Alaric and awkwardly handed him the broom she had borrowed. He raised his eyebrows at her, "you're an excellent flier. Truly spectacular."

"Don't patronize me, please," Virginia said gently, "I didn't make it and that makes sense. I don't have enough pent up rage to be a beater," she cast her eyes across the pitch to where Mary was whacking every Bludger in the direction of Sirius, "and I'd have the same problem as a Keeper with my total lack of coordination."

"How're your eyes," he asked, leaning down until they were at eye level.

"Uh good?" she asked, her brows furrowing. He pulled something shiny and silver out of his pocket.