ⅩⅩ. 𝐇𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐚𝐡

(Hi, welcome to my first (and maybe only) Sirius Black centered chapter. I would also like to encourage you to add this story to a public library or vote on the chapters or comment. Any of those things would really make my day! Love to you all)

Sirius reached out and grabbed James's forearm. He didn't want Virginia to die at the hands of his best friend.

"You're the seeker?" James said, his voice brimming with rage. Sirius looked around wildly, why was Remus only there when he needed scolding.

"I'm sorry," Virginia said instantly, raising her hands in surrender.

Sirius was partially amazed that after all the mean crap they had said to her she still apologized so aptly. But then he realized she must just not have a death wish.

"You're sorry," James asked, shaking his arm harshly out of Sirius's grip, "Alaric!"

The boy looked over from the side of the common room, "what's up? Did I misspell your name like last year?"

Sirius chuckled under his breath. Hames Pottah, he'd nearly forgotten about that nickname.

"You misplaced my name," James said. Sirius looked sideways at him, he would never admit it but he was being rather too cocky. Then he remembered just this morning when James had practically thrown away his friendship with Virginia for him. He automatically moved to stand next to him, jaw resolute.

"Nah, I didn't," Alaric grinned, jogging over, "lovely little Nia over here is taking your place." He was tall enough that he could rest his elbow on Virginia's head with maximum comfort. She froze, clearly awkward. A part of Sirius wanted to grab her and pull her away as soon as he saw her discomfort. Yet his feet stayed planted next to James.

"And you wonder why we said all that shit about you," James scowled at Virginia before stalking off.

"I didn't actually," she said, shaking her head in annoyance. Sirius had to admit that he was mildly shook by her snark.

"Oi," Alaric stopped propping himself on Virginia and grabbed the boy's arms instead, "what did you say to her?" He dragged both of them back and narrowed his eyes. When he saw they wouldn't answer he looked down at Virginia instead.

Her eyes flicked to the team list and she shrugged, "nothing that actually hurt me."

Sirius had no concept or whether that was true or not. But judging by her other qualities, she probably wasn't one to lie. Alaric removed his hands from the two boys and they left.

Sirius and James walked up the stairs and burst into the dorm room. James started pacing immediately and Sirius sat with his legs crossed on the bed. Peter and Remus looked up with interest from where they sat on the unoccupied bed, using flashcards.

"I'm a chaser!" James shouted, "can you believe that!?"

"Yes," Peter squeaked, clearly not processing James's tone, "I mean you're really good at that position when we scrimmage."

James glared over at him, "I should be seeker! I deserve the spot."

"Alaric is a good coach, he was trained by the best of course," Remus said in his mediating voice, "which means he makes good choices whether or not you like them. I'm sure being chaser will have its merits."

"Virginia better be good," James grumbled, collapsing back on his bed and pulling the covers over his face.

"Ginny made it? Good for her," Peter said in a chipper voice before shrinking into himself, "sorry Sirius, I forgot we're mad at her."

"Speaking of which," Remus said, standing up and giving Sirius his most stern look. Sirius groaned, he did not feel like being fathered at the moment but it was too late, "I think it might be time to tell Virginia how you feel about her, how you've felt about her since you first met? How you're unable to stop thinking about her especially since... wasn't it literally last night that you actually had that real conversation with her?"