Ⅻ. 𝐆𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐲?

Friday morning during what had been last weeks free period, she had her first Flying Class. It alternated every other week, and she had been lucky enough to miss it to the first time. The idea of being on a broom in the air made Virginia's stomach swirl uncomfortably. However, at 10 AM in the crisp Autumn air, he found herself crowded into the Quidditch Pitch with a collection of other first years.

Gideon and Fabian were late as usual so she stood by herself until three girls walked over to her. She recognized them as soon as she laid her eyes on them. Mia Crestfield was the leader, she walked in front of the other two. She always had a massive smile and two pigtails. On her left stood Emmeline Vance. She was a tall and gangly girl with ginger hair and a face full of freckles. On her right was Vivienne Price, a girl with dark hair and shining blue eyes. She didn't look at Virginia, in fact she didn't look at anything. She seemed to be seeing things that no one else could perceive and no one dared disturb.

"Hey," Mia said, extending her hand, "I'm frankly gutted that you didn't get to live with us. After all it's just us three but they wanted you bonding with people your age. Which I get but maybe next year you could room with us." Virginia smiled at the offer.

"Thanks," was all she could say in reply. She was flattered but she knew she couldn't possibly accept, despite the chaos she loved the fourth years Gryffindor girls.

There were two sharp claps and all attention was turned to the front of the of the crowd. Madam Pilch stood in her billowing and crisp white robes, looking down her nose at the students in front of her. "Your school issues brooms are set up in two lines behind me. Pick one and stand on the side that positions your dominant hand over the broom." There was a pause where no one moved. "Chop chop, we haven't got all day."

The students hastened to obey. Virginia found herself between Mia and Emmeline although she peered beyond them to see if the Prewett twins were anywhere to be found. She didn't see them although she did see four very familiar boys walking into the Pitch. They settled themselves at the base of one of the stands. Remus waved to Virginia and she raised her hand in greeting before turning her attention back to the teacher.

Madam Pilch stood at the end of the two rows of students, "now like last time put your hand over your broom and firmly say 'Up.'"

"Up," Virginia said, staring down at the broom next to her. Emmeline's broom flew up into her hand while Mia was also having trouble. After a few more tries, the broom on the ground started wriggling. Firmly say. "Up," she commanded, feeling a little silly. The broom zipped up and hit her hand, she grinned to herself as she held in a whoop of excitement.

"Now mount," Madam Pilch said a few minutes later when everyone had successfully grabbed their brooms. Virginia gulped but did as she was told. She swung her leg over the broom, looking to her left to copy Emmeline's stance since she seemed to know what she was doing.

It only took her a few moments to get a rush of deja vu. She looked down.

"You never win Ophelia, I'm sorry," Virginia chuckled, not sounding very sorry at all.

"I did when you were younger," Ophelia grumbled, "Now c'mon I have more quarters, we're going on."

"This feels like the Motorcycle game," she muttered to herself, a small smile coming to her face. Now her entire body itched to be in the air as she wanted to test if the movements were the same.

"I would like you all to rise into the air like I showed you last time and attempt a to fly a few feet above the ground in a lap. If you think you can manage an extra challenge, come to me." Madam Pilch instructed. Virginia didn't want to be cocky so she kept her musings to herself. When Madam Pilch blew her whistle, Virginia kicked herself off the ground. She lurched forwards as she turned to the left and right.

"Come fly with us Virginia!" Mia offered cheerily. Virginia felt herself cruising over to them. She felt a longing in her gut to go fast but she kept herself in check.

However, Emmeline seemed to read her mind. "So New Girl, you wanna race me? Extra challenge, we do it with whatever Madam Pilch has planned."

Virginia could have said no but... she didn't. Madam Pilch told them she'd count them down, her eyes were glinting. This clearly fascinated her far more than teaching her class. "Weave in and out of the stands now as high as you want. Two laps. I'll lift this flag when one of you gets to your second lap. The first to complete both and grab this flag, wins." Most of the other students had paused in their flight to watch the proceedings and the four Marauders on the sidelines were grinning.

She took a steadying breath.

"3... 2... 1..." There was a sharp whistle blast and Virginia shot off. Her laughter got caught in the wind. She found an adrenaline rush she wasn't used to. The way she could turn in a moment - right before she collided into the stands.

"Whoooo!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. She threw her arms into the arm, squeezing her thighs on broom. She spun around and around in circles. She turned to her left to see Emmeline had pulled ahead. She shook her head and stopped playing around in the air. She found that if she leaned forward she went faster. She leaned a bit but not all the way, wanting to save some speed. She rushed through the first lap keeping in line with Emmeline. When she whipped past the Marauders she saw for a moment that they were all standing and cheering loudly. She grinned. When they passed Madam Pilch she extended her hand high in the air holding the flag.

The second lap was even easier. She had leaned how to control the broom on a whim. Found the slight difference between it and the famous motorcycle game. When she reached Madam Pilch she was toe to toe with Emmeline. However, she still had her burst of speed. She dove down and grabbed the flag from her. She landed but the broom kept moving, she jogged to keep up with it until it stopped.

Peter leapt onto Virginia's back nearly tipping her forwards. "Yay go Ginny!"

"Ginny?" she asked, her eyes wide with concern.

"Your new nickname," James said with a grin, taking the flag from her and passing it back to Madam Pilch. Emmeline landed and sauntered over to Virginia. She extended her hand.

"Good game," she smiled softly.

"Good game," Virginia returned, shaking her hand. Emmeline moved off while Peter clambered off her back.

"Nice job Mentee," Remus grinned, ruffling Virginia's hair affectionately.

"Eh, I would've left both of them in the dust," Sirius said with a lofty shrug, "still... that was impressive Sweetheart."

Virginia didn't let his boasting ruin the moment, "so my first flying class turned out to be a roaring success."

"How about a round of Butterbeer on us for congratulation and celebration," James smirked.

"What's that?" Virginia asked absently, picking up the broom and picking some dirt out of the bristles.

There were four identical, scandalized and overly dramatic gasps.

"Oh you poor soul, never had Butterbeer. That's a true tragedy," Sirius held a hand to his heart with sorrow, "You'll have to come with to Hogsmeade this weekend, non-negotiable."

"Sorry, that's on Sunday isn't it? I've got the Slug Club thing and besides it's based on parental permission and I'm sure mine didn't sign whatever it is they had to sign so..." Virginia's eyes grew wide and she took a step back, "why are you all grinning so maliciously?"