ⅩⅩⅩⅩⅤⅠⅠ. 𝐏𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐈𝐭 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤

As per her request, Virginia was taking more exams than anyone else in the school. She began about a month before everyone else, taking all the first year ending exams for her classes. As Lily had coerced the teachers into letting her take the year two's if she passed, Virginia was caught between studying for both. She hadn't wanted to be stuck doing such a thing, but Lily had convinced her. She was also to be taking the same elective as the people in her year were. Peter was the only other one in Divination but Lily, Alice, Sirius, Remus and James were all in Care of Magical Creatures.

Dorcas and Marlene were a bit of a nuisance to all the studious residents of the dorm as they talked and laughed loudly. Mary got so fed up one night she shoved them both onto Dorcas's bed and closed the curtains forcefully. Virginia left soon after this had happened to go to the Common Room to study with Sirius. He was grinning with every ounce of boyish charm his handsome face was capable of producing.

"Hello sweetheart."

She felt herself grin. Something was different about the way he said the word now that they were actually dating.

"Hey darling," she plopped into the seat next to him. He leaned over and kissed her temple.

"So," he whispered, his tone lowering significantly and his hot breath hitting the side of her face. She felt her breath catch slightly, "care to travel to a broom closet."

She looked over at him with slightly narrowed eyes and he wiggled his brows back at her. She shook her head, "absolutely not Black, we're studying."

He groaned in annoyance, "how do you expect me to focus?"

"Hm... by exhibiting self control?" Remus hummed as he sat down at a chair across from the small red couch the other two were occupying.

"You didn't tell me he was coming," Sirius said, sinking into the chair moodily. Remus rolled his eyes.

"That's because if she had told you, you wouldn't have come." Sirius shrugged, knowing he was right.

"It's not a sin to want to make out with your girlfriend," he grumbled.

Remus snorted, shaking his head. Virginia felt a flutter in her stomach, she still wasn't quite used to this.

"Okay so Diricawls, what's special about them?" Virginia asked, opening up her book. Sirius peered down at her lap and paraphrased the words on the page.

"They're flightless birds who can teleport." She nodded before looking sideways at him and realizing he had cheated. She slapped his arm and glared at him. He grinned, "I did get it right, did I not?"

"Look Sirius, I'm being se-" she stopped herself halfway through the word, "earnest. If you don't actually memorize this stuff then you won't pass!"

"Merlin's beard you sound like Lily, there's nothing more important than staying at school," he mocked. Remus shook his head and opened his mouth to tell the boy off but Virginia beat him to it.

"I thought you of all people would actually understand," she snapped, much to the surprise of everyone involved including James, Fabian and Gideon who were playing a game of exploding snap a few tables over. "You have a bad family too, it's bad enough they might not let me back and I might have to sneak out, but what if there's no place to sneak out too? If I don't pass my exams-"

Sirius scoffed, "well at least you have James's parents - oh sorry - your aunt and uncle to spend your time with. I have nowhere to go."

"Then you think you would try?" she exclaimed, throwing up her hands in the air, "can you even tell me the last thing Professor Kettleburn taught you."

"Something about redcaps?" he guessed but judging by Virginia's facial expression he had gotten it wrong, "look sweetheart, James and I have always crammed the night before and it's always worked for us."

She bit down on her tongue out of annoyance before narrowing her eyes ever so slightly, "Paint It Black," she said randomly. He cocked his head to one side, whatever he had expected it wasn't that.

"Excuse me?" Remus asked, his brows raised in curiosity before remembering this was not his conversation. He cleared his throat awkwardly and turned his attention to his book. His eyes stayed fixed on one point on the page and the twins and James a few tables over had stopped focusing on the game. Virginia didn't even notice.

"It's a muggle song by The Rolling Stones. You would listen to it and like it. You would also like anything by David Bowie but especially Suffragette City. You would rock out to it with your friends in your probably terrible band."

"My band?" he asked, his dark eyebrows raising.

"Well a group of people who play instrument and sing, typically for-"

"I'm familiar with the concept," he replied stiffly, cutting over her words.

"Oh... well you and your pack of cronies would ride around in motorcycles, wearing leather jackets. I've been thinking about it for a while actually and that's the type of muggle you would be. You would be a high school drop out almost certainly, probably get several girls pregnant and bail on them and-"

"Excuse me?" Sirius cut in darkly, parroting Remus's words but in a much angrier way.

"That's the type of muggle you would be," she shrugged like what she had said meant nothing, "I knew a lot of muggles who looked and acted a lot like you. I remember this one guy, Jeremy - I was happy if we made eye contact. I mean I think it's pathetic now of course but everyone was in love with him."

His face turned into one completely void with emotion, "I don't care about your fucking muggle crush, you think I would bail on you?"

"Well I'm not pregnant and we're not having sex so... not something to worry about," she looked back down at the book, "fire crabs actually shoot flames but they're especially known for the jewels on their backs," she commented. She didn't see him staring at her.

Remus swallowed before saying diplomatically, "Ginny I think he means hypothetically. Let's say you shagged... and the result was a child. Do you think he would actually leave you to have a child by yourself?"

Virginia looked over at him. She realized in that moment that she had moderately fucked up. "Well he loves me so... I don't think he would."

Sirius stood, his jaw clenched, "keep on lying pinocho or whatever that muggle tale is called." He paused and let out a sigh before storming out of the common room. Her eyes went wide and she leapt up.

A/N...

I just wanted to get an update out there, I am so sorry for the recent leave. I'll try my best to be back on track!