ⅩⅩⅩⅩⅤⅠ. 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐎𝐟𝐟 𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞

When they returned to the castle, the first thing all of them did was shower. This was followed by putting on warm pajamas and then they slept through the rest of the day. The girls in Virginia's dorm questioned her and Peter questioned the boys and Pandora questioned Johanna and Arthur and Molly questioned Alaric. But instead of answering, all of the adventurers' listened to their sleep deprived bodies and crashed into bed.

They didn't wake up until Sunday morning when they gathered in the same corner of the library to tell them that the operation had been a huge success.

"She's being taken care of by my mum now," James said brightly, "still waiting on the letter of course, but I know her, it's not like she's going to turn her mum away."

"She's alive and she's much better," Virginia said with a grin born out of realization, staring around at all of them. She tried to shove down the tears in her eyes, "thank you all so much."

"Of course Ginny," Molly said with a grin, ruffling the younger girl's hair, "so if anyone in the government asks me if I have a grandmother named... Thunderstruck Prewett, the answer is yes?"

Virginia looked sheepishly up at her and nodded.

"Blame the name on James," Sirius asked, gesturing lazily at him. Virginia looked sideways at him and felt her entire face turn bright red without being able to help it. The two of them still hadn't talked about what had transpired yesterday. He wiggled his eyebrows in reply. No one else seemed to notice except one other person.

She could practically feel Alaric staring at them and she could feel herself shrink inwards.

The group split up about ten minutes later after a few more questions were asked and answered. The only ones who lingered were Alaric and Sirius who both wanted to talk to Virginia and Virginia, who just wanted to be alone. She stared between the two of them.

"So uh... Alaric, I'm really sorry you had to see Sirius and I kissing."

Sirius's eyes widened a bit and he coughed awkwardly, "starting off strong there."

She gave him a look and he shut up. "I really meant it when I told you I didn't have romantic feelings for him," she could hear Sirius spluttering something nonsensical so she slightly raised her voice so he would stay silent, "I mean... I didn't think I did. I didn't particularly want to fancy him... but I do. In fact, I'm in love with him. And it's not much more complicated than that. So Alaric... can we still be friends?"

He stared at her and let out a bark of laughter with absolutely no humor, "so in other words the whole finding out who you are stuff was bullshit and you'd rather be found," the last two words dripped with malice and barely concealed meaning, "by the great Sirius Black."

"Alaric," she said, shaking her head a few times like that would help, "I- I don't know what to say. It's not that, it's just that I just realized I'm in love with him. And besides, I can still do self discovery... probably. I, I don't know... but I just know I like him and I did like you, I didn't mean to lead you on."

"You just didn't realize you loved Sirius Black," his voice was completely toneless. She stood there silently, unable to deny his words. "Well good luck Virginia Waters, good luck with this glorified fuck boy. You'll soon find out love is never enough." And with that, Alaric Weasley left the library.

Virginia stood staring off after him. Sirius was silent for several moments before he stood behind her and put his arms around her, pulling her into a hug.

"Screw him," he mumbled and she smiled slightly.

When they separated, Virginia spun around to look at him, "I trust that you love me Sirius Black... so please don't play me."

He tucked some of her hair behind her ear, "I could never."

"So... will you be my boyfriend?" she swallowed, nerves crawling around in her stomach.

A smile crept onto his face and he nodded, "I would love to Sweetheart," he leaned down and she stood up on her tiptoes to make it easier for him. He smashed his lips into hers but before either of them could even consider going further - they remembered they were in a public library with a strict librarian roaming the shelves.

The end of year exams were closing in around the students of Hogwarts. Gideon, Fabian and Virginia spent long hours studying when she could actually find them and pin them down. Sometimes Mia, Emmeline and Vivienne would join them. Virginia became instantly suspicious of the way Fabian pulled on Emmeline's red hair and how she would smile when she thought no one was looking. It was like looking at a mini James and Lily except the chances were that the eleven year olds would get together and be married before Lily confessed her feelings.

"So you and Sirius are official?" Gideon asked, folding his charms study sheet into a paper airplane while sitting criss-cross on top of one of the study tables.

Virginia nodded, not looking up from her parchment where she furiously tried to burn the information surrounding the Goblin Wars into her brain.

"Do you reckon Alaric favors crying or punching the walls? Or is he properly chuffed to be rid of you," Fabian asked with a rude little snicker, his feet were hooked around a bookcase and he was hanging down it like a bat.

"I expect a bit of all of that, I know I've cried and punched a wall or two. I think it's probably just too painful for him to be around me and Sirius... I hope he'll forgive me someday..."

"He probably won't," chorused Fabian and Gideon - ever the helpful optimists.

Emmeline threw an orange up at Fabian who lost his balance and toppled to the ground. She giggled before turning to look at Virginia, "I'm sure he will!"

Virginia could only smile gratefully in reply. She dearly hoped so.