Chapter Twenty-Two

“They say it's your birthday, we're gonna have a good time.”

It was the day before Ryans birthday and I was getting a little nervous. Not only had I still not found him a present, but there was also this whole party-planning thing that I really wasn't good at.

Not like I was really throwing that big of a party. There were only going to be twelve people there. That seems like a lot but really, compared to ALL of Ryans friends, twelve was a very small number. I decided on his five closest friends and then their girlfriends (or dates for the night) and then I invited Katie and her boyfriend Mike. The only problem was getting him away from me long enough to talk about the party.

“so, what did you get him?” Katie asks, setting her plate of food down and taking a seat next to me. Mike sat down next to her and the rest of the guys (Joel, Eli, Nate, Dominic, and Conner) sit down in spots around the table. Ryan was currently talking to his math teacher about something.

“I haven't.” I answer, taking a bite of my salad.

Nate just about chokes on his drink, “need I remind you his birthday is tonight?”

“actually, his birthday doesn't exist.” Conner says.

I ignore Conner's comment, though it was true, “I know, I just don't know what to get him. I'm terrible with presents.”

Katie laughs, “well, we can help you. Right guys?” she asks the table.

All the guys look clueless, “huh?”

“you're going to help Sky get Ryan a present.”

“I highly don't remember agreeing to that.” Joel replies.

I sigh, “it's not that hard. He must have told you guys at some point what he wants.”

The five of them all exchange unsure glances and then their eyes land on me, “nope, I don't think he's mentioned it.” Dominic says.

“yeah, haven't heard one detail.” Conner adds.

Eli looks at the two as if they're dumb, “But I remember him saying-” Joel slapped him in the back of the head, “ow, what was that for?!”

“because you're stupid, that's why.” Joel says and then looks back at me, “he hasn't said anything.”

Something didn't seem right about those answers, “Eli, would you like to finish your sentence?”

“oh, yeah, he was talking about how he wanted to-” Nate covered his mouth this time.

“seriously Sky, you do not want to know what Eli is about to say.” Nate says.

“Come on Nate, it can't be that bad, can it?”

“it's not bad. Trust me, it's actually pretty sweet. But he would kill us if you actually gave him that on his birthday.”

“okay, so you don't want to say it. Just a hint?”

“you wouldn't actually have to buy anything.” Joel says.

I look down at my food, blushing, “oh. Nate, you can uncover his mouth now.”

“so now you know why we didn't want to tell you.” Nate says.

Katie looked confused, “I'm lost. What does he want?”

Mike laughs and shakes his head, “you're amazing, you know that? And naïve.”

“hey!”

I roll my eyes at their argument and go back to the other guys, “so, what else would he like?”