Chapter Eight

I’m in like with you. Not in love with you, quite yet.” Natasha Bedingfield

Religions class was boring, as ever. Ryan didn’t say anything to me and I went back to doodling in my notebook. At the end of the period, he got up and left before the bell finished ringing.

In drama, it wasn’t much different. Of course, we were forced to talk to each other, but it wasn’t anything more than our lines. He wouldn’t even look me in the eye. Everytime the bell above the door would ring at work, I would look up, hoping that he would walk through with Charlie and Sydney. But he never did.

The week went by like that. It wasn’t like Ryan was acting much different then he did a month ago. But that’s the problem, I let him in. I opened up to him and he left, just like my parents did.

It was my birthday and I was at home alone. Cathy had stopped by earlier with a cake and we had a small celebration. She was, after all, at my birth and thought it was a time to celebrate, unlike my parents. They had left this morning for work and put money on the table for me to get some presents. I quickly added that to my college fund. I took the day off from the yogurt shop and Alisa gave me a break from Suzy.

That left me alone on my sixteenth birthday. I sat on my bed, digging into some ice cream I bought, and watching Sixteen Candles. Cathy practically forced me to watch it when she said that “it was the movie that was playing on t.v. when your mom called”. Guilt, it does a lot to a person.

Just as the dork was making out with the popular chick in the movie, there was a knock at my door. No one stops by at 9 pm on a Saturday. Actually, no one stops by period. I pause the movie and open the door to see Ryan there banging his head against the wall. He didn’t see me, I guess, since he hadn’t turned when I appeared. I stood there in the doorway watching him, continuing to eat my ice cream. A minute or two later he finally stops and looks back at the door. I guess he thought I wasn’t going to open it before since he did a double take when he noticed me standing there.

I finish licking the chocolate wonders off the spoon, “need some ice for your head?” I ask.

Ryan stood there staring at me, still shocked. I shrug and take another scoop of ice cream, walking back into my apartment. “you’re actually home.” He says finally, following me into the kitchen.

“was I supposed to be out?” I ask. I set down the tub of ice cream and open the freezer, pulling out an ice pack.

He takes it and sets it on his head, “I don’t know. I thought you’d go out on your birthday.”

“not exactly a day I celebrate Ryan.” I say. He shifts a little on the stool and drops his head a little. It was then that I saw the present he had in his hands, or lap now. I bite my lip, regretting the words I just said. “But that’s because I’ve never had anyone to celebrate with…”

His face lights up a little and it causes me to smile. The cake that Cathy had brought over was still sitting on the counter and I saw Ryan eyeing. I laugh, “you want some?” I ask, motioning toward the cake.

“have you ever heard of a guy who turned down cake?” I just laugh and take out two plates, putting a slice on each. “who gave you the cake Miss ‘I don’t celebrate my birthday.’”

“Cathy, she, uh, was at my birth and makes me a cake every year.”

“Mrs. Shaw?” I nod, “I’ll have to get used to you calling her Cathy.” We both take a bite of the cake.

“so, how has your birthday been?” He asks.

There were many answer I could give, but went with the one that would put a smile back on his face. I owed him that much, “better now that you’re here.” I say. He smiles, like I hoped. “what did you get me?” I ask, reaching for the wrapped gift.