13

"Alpha, my apologies sir, but.." the man looks at me with tears in his eyes, "but this is my granddaughter.  I haven't seen her since she was 5 years old and her parents were killed.  I tried to find her and flee but I couldn't and thought the rogues had taken her or..or..worse."
    "Was that when we found you, doc?  In the forest?"
    "Yes, yes it was.  But I never gave up hope, I just felt it in my heart that you were still alive, my dear.  I just knew it.  And as soon you open your eyes, I knew it was her.  She has her mother's eyes.  My sweet daughter." A tear runs down his cheek as he looks at me and reaches with his hand and touches my cheek and I instantly feel the connection.
    "Poppa?"  I look up at him with wide eyes filling with tears.  Not tears of joy or relief but of sadness.  Knowing that he was out there all alone, thinking he lost everyone.  I was out there all alone, thinking I had lost everyone and yet we each had family left, but didn't know. 
    He smiled wide and nodded his head and I think he said yes but it was half talk and half laugh.  I was in a huge that felt so safe and full of love.  I never thought I would experience this feeling ever again.  Well, I thought maybe my mate would make me feel safe and loved but that turned out to be a complete bust.
    Poppa let me go and looked me over, smiling.  "Just wait until she sees you."
    Confusion is instantly etched across my face.  Did Gramma survive too? "Gramma?  Is she ok too!  Poppa, did you both get out?  Can I see her?"
    He shakes his head and sadness replaces the joy in his eyes.  My heart shatters.  Oh no, gramma didn't make it and I just made poppa sad and reminded him.  I totally ruined the moment. "I'm sorry poppa.  I didn't mean.."
    "No my angel, she did make it out, but she was hurt.  Hurt too badly for her wolf to heal her.  They had poison, and your gramma had lots in her system.  It killed her wolf first, then, eventually, it took her from me.  She talked about you the whole time.  How she knew you would be ok.  How you would be so strong and beautiful, just like your mom and dad.  She was so proud of you, angel.  It was your gramma who named you Levi.  Your name is actually Olivia, your gramma wanted you to have a strong name with a strong origin.  It means Ancestor's Descendant.  But for some reason, someone called you Levi one day and it stuck. But Levi also means hero so I think your gramma is right.  I think the Moon Goddess has big plans for you my angel."
    "See, told you we were going to be ok."
    "Claire!  I thought I lost you!  I'm so happy to hear you."
    "It will take more than a bump on the head to lose me huni.  I'm here for long haul."
    The door of the room I am in slowly opens and we all look to see a beautiful short woman with dark hair made up in a bun and grey eyes and a warm smile come in followed by a taller, younger stunning woman with long blonde hair, crystal blue eyes and a look of concern on her face come in.  The shorter woman goes up to my poppa and he wraps his arms around her and kisses the top of her head.  I am instantly angered at this but Claire tells me to calm down, all things will be clear in few minutes and to give this woman a chance.  It's not what I am thinking. 
    The thinner woman, who I am assuming is the Luna, walks up to the Alpha and pulls her to his side and places his nose in her neck and I can hear him sniffing her.  Calming himself, his wolf and his Luna and her wolf since this is not an everyday occurrence and tensions are high and just rose a bit more.
    "How are you feeling, dear?  I am so happy to see you are awake."  the older lady says to me with a kind and loving smile.  Ok, maybe she isn't bad.  But I still can't help the feeling of betrayal in my heart.
    "My dear", poppa says smiling, "This is Janice.  I met her after coming to Howling Moon and your gramma passed away.  Janice is my second chance mate.  My dear, I know you are feeling some concern, but I never, never cheated or even had a desire to have another woman after your gramma.  I loved her with all my soul, but Janice had lost her mate as well and we became friends and agreed to not let the mate bond pull us as our hearts still belonged to our fallen mates.  But after a few months, we decided to try it.  It seemed to Moon Goddess and our fallen mates agreed with our bond as the afternoon I took Janice on our first date, we were surrounded by so many butterflies.  You might remember, your gramma loved butterflies and her favourite colour was purple.  Janice and I were sitting and admiring all the butterflies and I was holding her hand when a purple butterfly landed on our joined hands.  When I realized it was your gramma, I told her thank you and it flew and landed on my forehead where your gramma always kissed me."  A lone tear ran down my poppa's cheek and Janice lovingly wiped it away. 
    It was then that I knew that Janice loved my poppa and he loved her but still had  love for my gramma.  I reached over and grabbed her other hand and she gasped and then smiled down at me.  "Thank you for taking care of my poppa, Janice."
    She smiled down at me and her eyes where shining with unshed tears, making my heart feel light, like I was staring into the eyes of gramma. "It's my pleasure, dear.  I will never replace your gramma, and I have no intention to as she was a remarkable woman.  Your poppa and I worked hard to save her, but her wolf was just too weak.  I cried along side your poppa when she left us to be with the Moon Goddess."
    "Wait, you knew gramma?"
    "Why yes dear, I am a nurse.  That's how I met your gramma and poppa.  Our doctor was killed in a rogue attack, so it was a blessing when we discovered your poppa was a doctor but when we saw your gramma and the shape she was in, even my medical experience and the pack healer's, we weren't able to save her.  I am so sorry dear.  I am so so sorry."  Tears that were threatening to fall, finally were given the ok to do so.  As they fell freely down her cheek, I gave her hand a small tug and she hugged me tight.
    "See, told you she was ok.  She already loves you like a grandchild.  Her wolf loves us too.  Same with your poppa.  She's a good woman, Levi.  Pure heart and clean soul."
    "I know, I think the Moon Goddess sent her to my poppa and me to my poppa and Janice on purpose.  Claire?  Will we will be loved here?"
    "You know we will be.  We already are. But we aren't meant to stay here."
    "What do you mean? Why not?  I want to stay with my poppa and get to know Janice."
    "Don't worry Levi, it will all make sense soon.  But for now, let's just stay for a bit.  We do have to call our pack.  They found the car and are worried.  There was a lot of blood."
    "Wait...how do you know?"
    "Jasper is going crazy right now.  He is demanding that Damon and everyone find us right now." (Jasper is Damon's wolf)
    Janice pulls away from the hug and wipes her tears from her face and smiles down at me.  "You rest dear.  You've been through a lot and you still need to heal a bit more.  Those ribs aren't quite there yet.  I could feel them when I hugged you."
    I smiled and thanked her.  The Alpha and Luna smiled at me and told me to let them know if there was anything I needed to let the Omega, that will be coming in to give me clean clothes and towels for a shower, know and they will make sure I have it. 
    "You rest, my angel, I will see you at dinner.  I am so happy to see you. You have no idea how happy you have made my heart and my wolf.  And Janice is glowing.  When I told her my suspicions, she thought for sure you would hate her."
    "She seems very sweet and kind poppa. She reminds me of gramma.  I like her and she's good for you." I smile at my poppa.  He leans down and kisses my forehead before exiting the room.
    "Ok, Claire.  Why is Jasper going crazy?  Damon rejected me and I accepted, remember?  Because I sure do.  Fucking hurt like hell."
    "Oh huni, you didn't finish accepting his rejection."