Chapter 99

Danielle POV

"Mali let's go sweetheart," I called from the doorway, ready to leave for set.

Stefania was just sorting Jeff out ensuring her water bowl was filled before we left for set.

"Amalia Cora, come on bubbie," I called again when she didn't appear.

She eventually came out of her bedroom looking like a deer caught in headlights. Even after spending the night in mine and Stefania's bed, she still didn't get the best nights sleep.

"Oh bubs," I sighed, seeing her stare at me looking helpless.

"I'm not ready," she said, her voice wobbling.

I walked over to her and crouched down to her height. I placed my hand on her cheek, gently holding it and ran my thumb across her soft skin.

"You're never going to feel completely ready Mali, it's always going to be daunting. This is going to be the hardest one, every time that follows will get easier and easier," I assured her.

"I c-can't," she stuttered, shaking her head no.

"You can do absolutely anything you put your mind to," I said, taking her hands in mine.

"And i'm going to be with you ever step of the way. Mama and I aren't going to leave you," I said seriously.

"We'll take it minute by minute. We can break it down into tiny little steps Mali. Step one just has to be getting in the car. Can we do that while we wait for mama? Can me and you go wait in the car?" I asked, standing back up straight.

She slowly nodded her head, reaching out for my hand. I took it and held it tightly.

"I'm not letting go," I winked.

"We'll be in the car," I called out to Stef, who I could hear sorting her things in the kitchen.

"Okay bellina, two minutes," she shouted back.

I lead Amalia outside onto the driveway and unlocked my car. She reluctantly let go of my hand and climbed into the back.

"Here sunshine, play whatever you want," I said, handing her my phone to scroll through Spotify.

I turned on the engine when I saw Stef locking up the front door. Instead of climbing into the front passenger seat like she usually would, she opened the back and climbed in beside Amalia.

I glanced in my mirror as I pulled out the driveway, smiling as I watched Stefania take hold of Mali's hand.

"I feel like a taxi driver," I joked as I drove the three of us to set for the first time in forever.

"I want some bambina time before she ditches us for our friends," Stefania laughed, lifting her arm around Amalia's shoulders.

"I want to stay with you mama," Mali said softly.

"You can do exactly that if it's what you want bella. But I think you'll change your mind when you see Barrett no?" Stef teased lightly.

"I have missed her," Mali admitted.

"If you need a break away from everyone bambina, all you have to do is tell us," Stefania reminded her again.

"I don't want people to know I need a break. It's embarrassing," she said, whispering the last part to herself.

"You have nothing to be embarrassed about Mali. What you're doing today isn't easy," I assured her.

"Maybe we could have a code word?" I suggested.