Chapter 38

Danielle POV

I pulled up in front of my house after dropping something off at Stephanie's. I frowned when I realised Stefania's car wasn't in the driveway.

She must've popped to the store for something.

But why would she leave Amalia?

"Honey I'm home," I called out when I walked in, expecting Amalia to be there waiting.

No reply.

"Hey Jeffy," I smiled, stroking the excitable puppy jumping up at my legs.

"Where is everyone my lovely?" I asked Jeff.

I filled her water bowl and went to look for my girls. My bedroom was empty, I knocked on Amalia's door assuming she was sleeping.

"Mali baby? Can I come in?" I asked softly.

I slowly pushed open the door, puzzled when this room too appeared to be empty. I walked in and had a quick glance around, seeing some of her clothes in a pile on the floor. That wasn't like her at all, she was incredibly neat and tidy.

I spotted a piece of paper on the bed with my name on. Sitting down, I unfolded it and began to read.

Dear Danielle,

I'm sorry.
I had to leave, the messages never stopped. I have to go back and make sure my mom and Robert are alright. The guilt was just too much. Thank you for everything you have done for me. I'm so sorry for ruining everything and wasting all your time. I really do appreciate you and Stefania. I love you both and didn't want to go. Please don't blame yourself or get mad at Stefania, she didn't know I was leaving. I'll be okay, please don't worry about me.
I love you more than I've ever loved anyone.

Mali.

My heart sank.

She'd gone.

My girl had left.

I only hoped that the reason Stefania wasn't here was that she'd gone to find her and bring my baby home.

"Oh Mali what've you done," I sighed in frustration, running my hands through my hair.

Wiping tears away, I grabbed my phone and clicked on Stefania's name.  

"Please pick up," I said aloud, pacing around her room.

"Pick up pick up," I repeated.

No answer.

I rang Amalia.

No answer.

Fear for her safety taking over, I launched my phone across the room and collapsed to the floor in frustration. I needed Amalia back here with me. I needed her to be safe.

My phone began to ring. Scrambling to my feet to find it, I felt sick when I saw Stefania's name flashing. With shaking hands, I held my breath as I answered.

"Stef, where is she?" I cried.

"Bellina you need to get to Amalia's mom's," she said seriously.

"Tell me she's not hurt. I can't drive without knowing," I sobbed, clutching my chest and finding it hard to breathe.

"I've got her Danielle," she replied.