Chapter 43

Amalia POV

"Let's go bambina," Stefania smiled, closing the door to Danielle's house.

We took a right at the end of the drive, Jeff happily walking in front of us on her lead.

"It's getting busier again," I pointed out, seeing more and more people filling the streets.

"A sign this is coming to an end," Stefania smiled.

"Yeah," I nodded, keeping the rest of my thoughts to myself.

"What're you thinking bambina?" Stefania asked, reaching for my hand.

She entwined our fingers as we continued down the street.

"It's silly," I shrugged.

"I'll be the judge of that," she winked.

"It's just..."

I paused.

"Go on bambina. It's okay," she smiled down encouragingly.

"I've got so used to being with you and Danielle all the time that anything more just feels too much. I'm scared of everything going back to normal because you and Danielle just feel so safe," I told her honestly.

"Have you told Danielle any of that?" She asked, squeezing my hand gently.

I shook my head.

"No, I don't want her to worry anymore,"

"She'll want to help you Mali. I want to help you,"
Stefania said firmly.

"You already have, both of you," I said, watching as a warm smile appeared on her face.

"When everything goes back to normal, whatever that normal looks like, Danielle and I will still be there for you. That won't change Amalia," she assured me.

"When is your next therapy appointment?" Stefania asked, glancing both ways before walking across the road.

"In two days. I have to think of some things that help to calm me down," I shrugged.

"Have you thought of any?"

"I don't know. I guess I found the water really calming yesterday at the beach. I felt sort of free and light," I explained.

"But I can't run into the sea every time I get worked up," I added sarcastically .

I watched Stefania crinkle her eyebrow for a moment before nodding.

"Stefania?" I said nervously, chewing down on my lip.

"Si bambina?"

"Can I do something for you and Danielle? As a sort of thank you?" I asked her.

"You know you don't need to thank us," she smirked.

"But I want to, please,"

"What did you have in mind bella?" She asked.

"Can I make dinner for you both one night? I know it's not much but ..."

Stefania cut me off.

"Bambina that would be lovely. Danielle would really appreciate that," she smiled.

"Can you keep it a secret? I want to surprise her,"

"Of course bambina," she agreed happily.

A large group of teenagers suddenly appeared from around the corner, clearly breaking all the current rules about gathering in groups. I held my breath as they walked towards us.