Chapter 28

Danielle POV

"Mali calm down sweetheart," I said as relaxed as possible to the young girl pacing around my living room.

"Mali just sit down and let me talk to you," I said softly.

"No, I don't need therapy. I'm fine," she said frustratedly.

"I don't need therapy," she repeated, gripping onto her hair, her knuckles turning white.

It had been a couple of days since I'd broached the topic of getting Amalia some help with my therapist and I'd decided to finally bring up the subject with Mali.

She wasn't sleeping well, she wasn't eating properly and she was beginning to shut me out.

I was getting increasingly worried about her. I knew that quarantine was giving her way too much time to just sit with all the memories and emotions that she was so used to hiding and switching off.

I'd tried to sound as positive and open to the idea as possible but the second I mentioned the word therapy she flipped.

"Amalia you need to breathe," I said gently.

"No, no help. I don't need help," she said, almost trying to convince herself.

"It's okay to ask for help sweetheart," I assured her.

She wouldn't look at me.

She couldn't stay still.

Her hands left her hair, she brought her arms down and began scratching at her wrists.

I stood up, knowing this was the time to physically intervene.

"Okay that's enough sunshine. Come here to me," I said, making my way over to her.

I stood in front of her, taking hold of her arms. Her eyes wouldn't meet mine, they were flitting about,  unable to focus on anything in particular.

"Hey, it's alright, look at me. Amalia look at me," I said softly.

Her breathing was erratic and I could sense she was fighting back tears.

"Amalia, eyes on me girlie," I repeated.

She finally looked at me.

"Shh good sweetheart,"

"Let's go sit down," I said, slowly directing her toward the sofa.

"No," she said, pulling away from me.

"We need to get you calmed down Mali, please let me help you,"

"Let Dani help you calm down," I said softly, internally panicking myself.

Shaking, she nodded and moved closer to the sofa.

"That's it my sunshine," I smiled, sitting down beside her.

"Now let's just breathe for a few moments," I said, taking hold of one of her hands.

"Square or rainbow breathing?" I asked her.

"R-rainbow," she replied nervously, her shoulders shaking with every sharp breath.

I turned her hand over, her palm open to the ceiling and began to trace an arch with my finger.

"Breathe in for red," I instructed.

"And out as it goes back,"

"In for orange beautiful girl,"

"And out," I breathed with her.

We continued until I was happy she had relaxed enough. Her breathing had evened out but she was still incredibly fidgety.

"Tell me how to help you Mali," I whispered, not fully knowing what she needed.