Chaper 24

Amalia POV

Danielle took a small step closer to me, hooking her little finger around mine, letting me know she was keeping me safe.

Even that tiny bit of contact with her was enough to help. She was here. She was going to get me out of this house.

"Hi, we met earlier, I'm Danielle," she said, reintroducing herself to my mom.

"What are you doing here?" She snarled.

"I was just here to collect Amalia," she told her  calmly.

"She's staying here," my mom said, reaching out to grab me.

Danielle instinctively pulled me towards her, her arm holding me around my waist.

"About that," Danielle began.

"I was think Amalia could stay with me for a while. We don't know what's going to happen with work and the coronavirus so it might be for the best," she explained.

"What a load of rubbish!" My mom laughed.

"You believe in that,"

"You can't just take her. She needs to stay here,"

I looked helplessly at Danielle.

"Maybe Amalia could decide," Danielle suggested.

"She's not got enough brain cells to decide what she wants for breakfast. You've no right to take her," she almost cackled.

"I thought you might say that," Danielle nodded.

I hoped she was going somewhere with this.

She took a few steps forward, pushing me behind her slightly so she was right in front of my mom. Eye to eye.

"If I take Amalia with me," she said slowly.

"You could call the police if you wanted to,"Danielle shrugged as if it were no big deal.

"You could get me caught for kidnapping,"

Please be going somewhere Danielle, I thought, clenching my fists.

"Or I could phone the police and tell them that you've been allowing people to pour bottle after bottle of alcohol down your thirteen year olds neck," Danielle whispered, her face an inch from my moms.

"I could tell them you throw her out and expect her to sleep on the streets,"

"I could tell them you and god knows who else have repeatedly placed their hands on her,"

My mom was starting to turn pale.

"N-nobody would believe you," she stuttered.

Danielle took her phone from her back pocket.

"Do you want me to prove it?" Danielle said seriously.

"We can test that theory," she shrugged, dialling 911.

"No wait!" my mom called out.

Danielle stopped and looked up from her phone, placing it back in her pocket.

"ROB!" my mom screamed over her shoulder.

Danielle took a step back so she was right beside me again. I clung onto her arm, needing to be as close as possible.

He stumbled to the door and looked down and Danielle and I in disgust.

"She's gonna call the police if we don't let the little bitch stay with her," my mom told him.