"It does," I nodded. "You can ask him."

Snape stared at us again, as though trying to read our minds with his expert Occlumency skills.

"Very well," Snape said. "If what you say is true, and if Draco Malfoy is indeed alive because of the two of you, then I believe Professors McGonagall and Sprout will be delighted to know that Gryffindor house has been awarded fifty points, and so has Hufflepuff."

Harry swung open the door and stood in front of Snape who held out his hand wordlessly for Harry's schoolbag. Harry handed it over, panting and waited.

One by one, Snape extracted Harry's books and examined them. Finally, the only book left was the Potions book, which he looked at very carefully before speaking.

"This is your copy of Advanced Potion-Making, is it, Potter?"

"Yes," said Harry, still breathing hard.

"You're quite sure of that, are you, Potter?"

"Yes," said Harry, with a touch more defiance.

"This is the copy of Advanced Potion-Making that you purchased from Flourish and Blotts?"

"Yes," said Harry firmly.

"Then why," asked Snape, "does it have the name 'Roonil Wazlib' written inside the front cover?"

Harry's heart missed a beat. "That's my nickname," he said. (A/N: Reason 1506 why Harry isn't a Ravenclaw.)

"Your nickname," repeated Snape. 

"Yeah... that's what my friends call me," said Harry. (A/N: Reason 1507 why Harry isn't a Ravenclaw.)

"I understand what a nickname is," said Snape. The cold, black eyes were boring once more into Harry's; he tried not to look into them. 

"Do you know what I think, Potter?" said Snape, very quietly. "I think that you are a liar and a cheat and that you deserve detention with me every Saturday until the end of term. What do you think, Potter?"

"I--I don't agree, sir," said Harry, still refusing to look into Snape's eyes.

"Well, we shall see how you feel after your detentions," said Snape. "Ten o'clock Saturday morning, Potter. My office."

"But sir," said Harry, looking up desperately. "Quidditch... the last match of the--"

"Ten o'clock," whispered Snape, with a smile that showed his yellow teeth. "Poor Gryffindor... fourth place this year, I fear..."

And he left wordlessly. 

I exhaled. "Can we finally go and eat now?"

***

"I won't say 'I told you so,'" said Hermione, an hour later in the common room.

"Leave it, Hermione," said Ron angrily.

Harry had just finished telling Ron, Hermione, Jason and Ginny what had happened, not that there seemed to have been much need. The news had traveled very fast: apparently Moaning Myrtle had taken it upon herself to pop up in every bathroom in the castle to tell the story; Malfoy had already been visited in the hospital wing by Pansy Parkinson, who had lost no time in vilifying Harry far and wide, and Snape had told the staff precisely what had happened. 

Harry had already been called out of the common room to endure fifteen highly unpleasant minutes in the company of Professor McGonagall, who had told him he was lucky not to have been expelled and that she supported wholeheartedly Snape's punishment of detention every Saturday until the end of term.