The Dragonbinder Horn

Rhaegar Targaryen

His footsteps echoed throughout the empty Hall, floor red, reaching up to his knees, his footsteps heavy, hands reaching out for him, yet he walked; the Throne was right there, above a mountain of corpses; he climbed stairs made of bones, bone after bone he climbed, upon sitting on it, that's all he saw in front of him.

Rhaegar Targaryen 'The Just,' yet all he could see was the mountain of corpses he had left behind, their eyes in their skulls, young boys, their eyes glittering with hope, eternal glory they sought, that's what War was to them, a chance for Glory.

Rhaegar sat upon the throne, his hands grasping the arms of the throne, the blades cutting deep into his hand, and burning pain shot through his body, yet, his grip tightened.

I caused this. Now I suffer. He thought as the blade cut deeper into his skin, to the bone.

Rhaegar had woken up screaming that night, another nightmare, starling Elia who had been quick to tell him that he had been dreaming; even a year after the Rebellion, he still dreamed of them, the young boys and men he had sent to their deaths.

...

Seeing his son grow, Rhaegar believed that sooner or later, something would happen, but he held on to that hope that if something were to happen, he prayed the Gods would leave his family alone.

My deeds, my Punishment, he thought, and watching Rhaenys chase Aegon quickly followed by Ser Barristan brought a big smile on his face; Elia near him, resting her head on his shoulder, holding his hand, he knew he didn't deserve any of this, but a part of him wanted this scenery to never end. To live in that moment for the rest of his life.

...

When Elia had suggested that Margaery Tyrell become Aegon's Queen, Rhaegar had agreed on it faster than he liked to admit. A part of him desperately wanted his son to marry whoever he wanted, but he was a King first, and the weight of the Crown was heavy on his head.

With The Reach on their side, with one move, their chances of coming out victorious. If a Rebellion were to happen were suddenly higher, they had the most food and were the second richest kingdom in the realm. There was no better lady for his son Aegon. The only Lady that came close was Myrcella Tully, and because Cersei was Tywin's daughter, but the amount of support they got with Margaery was more significant, they would also gain extra support from the commoners.

Rhaegar had heard from his mother's reports that Jaime's only child was an excellent young man, Loren Lannister. He had considered marrying Daenerys to him, bringing House Lannister to them. With another move, their Rule was secured. With Aegon as King, Rhaegar believed House Targaryen would stay in power for another hundred years. That's what he believed.

...

When the tourney started, and he announced the betrothal of his son and Lady Margaery, he had been in high spirits ever since. His son had approved of his betrothal with no complaints, saying.

'I will be the Future King of Westeros. My duty is to the realm. I will do all it takes to continue your legacy. I will keep the realm strong, and so will my children. I will make you proud.'

Rhaegar sometimes felt both relief and sadness that his son took the job so seriously; sometimes, he wondered if Aegon had ever allowed himself to play and just have fun. But he felt proud nonetheless. His family was his life's Joy.

...

During the singing competition, Rhaegar had seen a glimpse of her for the first time when Jon Snow had kneeled in front of them, the way he smiled, his curly dark hair like a crow. Rhaegar had seen that smile before, in his dreams and life, but he played it off as his mind playing tricks with him.