The North

Rhaegar Targaryen - After Three Days

Sinking into his pillow, his face puffy, his eyes as red as blood, dried tears on his cheeks. Rhaegar wanted to escape this. He wanted to be there for his daughter, to play with her, to be there for his wife, to confront her, to see his little prince, to let him grab his silver hair.

But Rhaegar couldn't or didn't want, and he didn't know for sure; his body felt as numb as a rock; all he could do was remember her voice claiming her love for him.

"We will meet again in King's Landing with our son, my love."

Lyanna had told him the night before he left, rubbing her belly and making Rhaegar sing a song for their unborn child.

Rhaegar remembered when his mother had told him that his little brother Jaehaerys had been stillborn, he still felt the pain, his little brother would never hear his own name, would never smile at them, would never play with them, Rhaegar had mourned for his little brother for a month, visiting the ruins of Summerhall, his little brother was gone, Forever.

Yet, Rhaegar felt his heart bleeding, his chest hurting like nothing before.

I should have never met her; she would be with someone else, but at least she would be alive and breathing, and not buried deep in the ground, just the thought of her beautiful face disappearing, her eyes would never look back at him anymore, Rhaegar remembered her eyes very well, all left now were bones.

The only light source in the room was a candle near his bed, but the flame was slowly fading, the flame almost touching wood below the candle; soon, he would be surrounded by darkness.

KNOCK

Rhaegar stopped breathing for a second, his anger quickly rising, but he was sure that his mind was playing dirty games with him.

KNOCK KNOCK

Rhaegar wanted to shout at whoever was at the door to disappear, to leave him alone with his ghost and memories.

The sound of the handle moving, the door slowly opened, the light streaming inside, almost blinding Rhaegar, who saw a figure standing at the opening of the door, the light shadowing the person's features.

"Lyanna," Rhaegar whispered.

The figure walked closer, revealing Elia, her cheeks were swollen, red eyes, looking at her husband with pity and sadness.

She slowly walked towards the bed, almost trying not to scare him. Rhaegar was sitting on the bed, looking down on the floor.

"My love, you should not stay here; Rhaenys wants to play with her Kepa, and Aegon misses you. Lyanna" "Don't", Rhaegar interjected, his eyes not shining as she had seen before.

"Don't mention her right now," Rhaegar added with a pained tone.

Elia sighed and put her hand on his back, rubbing his back, hoping to make him feel better, her other hand on his chin making him look at her.

"Listen, my love, it is not your fault that Lyanna is not amongst us anymore," She spoke low and gently.

Rhaegar put his hand on hers and looked at her in the eye.

"Is my fault Elia, if I weren't so fixated towards that prophecy, she would be alive now," Elia wanted to interrupt, but Rhaegar continued.

"I own a blood debt to my kingdoms. To my people. How many people died because of me? How many fathers, and brothers, and husbands, and sons, and cousins? How many Elia? How many will never see their children grow old, won't see them smile, won't hear their voices. My father paid his debt; Lyanna and our Daughter paid the debt that I should have paid. You can't do bad things and expect good things to happen to you," Rhaegar finished looking from her to the floor. Full of shame and guilt. His rich purple eyes looked almost lifeless; the light in their eyes had faded.