Twenty-eight ~ Alex

I tried to call Julia as she sped off, but it kept going to voicemail. I cursed and made my way back into the house. To my utter shock, there sat Kayla planted on the couch. She hadn't moved and only smiled at me as I walked into the home. "She'll be fine. She just needs to cool off a bit," Kayla tried to reassure me. "Now we can finally be together."

I stared at her with disbelief. "You really have lost your mind," I mumbled. I couldn't believe I had fallen for one of her lies again. When would I learn?

Kayla snorted as she rose from the couch and walked to me in her heels. I made sure to keep my distance however. She scoffed. I knew she was probably annoyed because I still wasn't falling for her advantages. "Please. Stop pretending Alex."

"I'm not pretending," I told her with a roll of my eyes.

She ignored me and continued on. "Admit it. We have a bond that can't be broken. Why else would you rush over here when I called crying about 'how I didn't think Ryan and I was going to work out and I didn't know how I was going to be a mom'?" I was almost speechless as she spoke with a fake and sad whimper tone at the end of her question and held her hand over heart. Saying she was straight out delusional was an understatement.

It took everything in me to keep my anger from boiling to the surface. "Kayla, for the last time, there will never be an us again. We do not have a bond." I ignored her eye roll and continued. "And you need to stop trying to revolve your life around the guy you're going to end up with next and revolve your life around that baby."

Kayla groaned. "For goodness sake. There's no baby," she admitted throwing her hands up in the air before placing them firmly on her hips. "I only said that because Ryan kicked me out after he figured out how much money I was spending." She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes once more. "As if he isn't supposed to take care of me as the man of the house."

It was obvious she hadn't changed. I started to wonder what I had ever seen in her and how I could have been truly blind to the true person she was deep down. "Kayla, you need to get your things and get out."

Kayla snorted once more. "This isn't your house, Alex. You can't tell me what to do."

"You're right. It's not my house. However, the home owner has asked you to leave and I'm doing my part to make sure you do."

"Why are you still protecting her?" she asked. She was annoyed. That much I could tell by the tone of her voice. And her anger was obvious by the look on her face.

However, I couldn't help but smirk at her statement. "I don't need to protect her from you. She seems more than capable of protecting herself. However, it's you I'm worried about." When a smile crossed her face, I quickly added "there's no telling what she'll do if you're still here when she gets back after she told you to leave".

Kayla shrugged ignoring my warning. "I'll take my chances. She doesn't scare me." Why couldn't I get a break from this woman? I exhaled heavily as I withdrew my phone and scrolled through my contacts. "Who are you calling?"

I knew that Kayla had the right to stay until Julia sought out an eviction against her. I also knew I couldn't physically remove her. I had no right. I couldn't even get my cop buddies to remove her. It was illegal. However, I had a feeling Kayla only knew about half of what I knew. She didn't seem like the type to have tried to learn the law. The only thing she knew was how to try to manipulate to getting what she truly wanted. So, I decided to play a game of chicken with her and hoped she would call out uncle. I locked eyes with her. "Since you won't leave after being asked to, twice, I'm calling in a favor. You don't want to leave on your own. So, a couple of cop buddies and I will help you leave."

Kayla stared dumbfounded. For a moment, I thought she was speechless. But, her face quickly soften as she went into defense mode. "Come on, Alex. Please. I have nowhere else to go."

I snorted. She had chosen to go back to her old games. However, I wasn't falling for it. "That may have worked on Julia, but it's not going to work on me. Now are you going to leave on your own or do I need to get you help?"

Kayla's crocodile tears quickly dried up and she went from sad to annoyed within seconds. "Fine. I'll pack my things and leave, but then I want nothing else to do with you." Was she serious right now? I had been trying to get her to see we were over forever. But somehow, it took this for her to realize we aren't meant to be. No. She knew all along. However, it was obvious she didn't want it to end unless it was on her terms and she was the one doing the break up. Whatever. If that's what it took to finally get her out of my life for good, I would let her have that. "You truly aren't the guy I felt in love with," she spat before turning on her heel to leave the room. I was beyond stunned at the statement. I wondered if she saw the irony.