Ten ~ Julia

It had been a few days since I had heard from Ryan. For a moment, I thought he had changed his mind. That is until my phone sprang to life and his name flashed on the front of the screen. A smile crept on my face as I snatched the phone off the coffee table. "Hello?" I asked as calm as my excitement would let me. My heart pounded in my chest heavily.

"Hey pretty lady. I was just thinking about you."

I felt a shiver go up my spine. "I was just thinking about you too."

I could almost hear the smile from his end. "Well, good. Because I was hoping we could try this thing again and go out tonight."

"Yes," I said quickly. The heat from my cheeks rose as Ryan chuckled. I swallowed hard before clearing my throat softly. "Where are we going?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out." I didn't like the sound of that. So, I tried a different approach.

"How am I supposed to know what to wear if I don't know where we are going?"

A slight pause on Ryan's end before continuing to dance around the question. "Just wear something cute and casual."

I twisted uncomfortably on the couch and decided to try again. "That's not an answer," I told him.

"It's a surprise," he told me holding onto the secret.

At this point, I could feel myself gripping the phone tightly in my hand. I either needed to tell him the truth or go along with it. However, if I told him I didn't like surprises, he may be tempted to ask why. I took a deep breath to relax myself and decided to just roll with it. Whatever he had planned couldn't be that bad. Right? "Alright," was the only word I could think to say.

"Great, I'll see you in an hour," Ryan gleamed before hanging up the phone.

I took the phone off my ear and looked at the screen. "Great," I whispered. Despite how anxious I was feeling, I forced myself up off the couch and took a shower. Then, I wrapped myself into a towel and made my way into the bedroom trying to mentally think of an outfit to wear.

When I looked into the closet, I still was unsure what to wear. However, I knew I wouldn't find an outfit by just staring at the clothes. I only had thirty minutes left give or take and I needed to get to moving.

"Something cute and casual," I repeated Ryan's words to myself. It felt like forever before I finally settled on a pair of white jean shorts I found folded in the dresser drawer and pulled a black off shoulder blouse off a hanger. Once I threw on the outfit, I looked in the mirror and smiled softly. It would do. I thought it fit the dress code Ryan gave me.

That's when I saw in the reflection of the mirror that the door was opening. I turned around just in time to come face to face to Kayla. "Hey, Julia- What are you doing?" she asked. I swallowed hard as I realized she was standing in my doorway with nothing but a silk nightgown. The material was thin enough that you could see her nipples pressing against the gown. I decided not to draw attention to it and just answer her question.

"I'm getting ready to go out with Ryan to make up for our last date. What's up?"

Kayla ignored the question as she looked me over before stating her opinion with a sly smile painted on her face. "Maybe this time you should wear something more seductive as a way to make up for your date being cut short."

I bit back the urge to tell her to mind her business. I figured she was just taking her hurt out on me now that the break up was real. After all, she wasn't happy when she woke up to the boxes in her room. "I think I look fine. What did you need?" I asked repeating myself.