Three ~ Julia

The sound of my phone ringing woke me up from a deep sleep. I glanced at the clock and realized it was three in the morning. I groaned. "Whoever is calling me this early in the morning is dead," I mumbled in the night. I picked up the phone and Kayla's name flashed on the screen with one of her silly pictures.

That's when I sat up in the bed confused. Had she not come home last night? I hadn't seen her since I had left to the police station to take that meal to Alex in the hopes the two could make up. I had hoped that it would make him realize how much she really cared for him, but the plan had backfired. I groaned not wanting to think of the embarrassing moment of running into Alex before I could sneak out.

I answered the phone. "Kayla?"

Instead of Kayla's voice, a man voice came from the other end. "Not exactly."

"Then, who is this?" I rushed to ask.

"I'm a bar owner. Your friend is actually here drunk out of her mind. She was going to try to drive home, but I managed to stop her and take her keys. I was going to try to call her a cab, but I didn't feel right calling one because she's kind of out of it. Are you able come get her?"

I sighed heavily. Kayla was clearly going through the ringer after her breakup. "What's the address?" I groaned into the receiver.

"70 East Sunny Drive."

"Got it. I'll be there in a few," I mumbled before hanging up. The last thing I wanted to do was to peel myself from my warm and comfortable bed. However, I couldn't leave Kayla at the bar. I would be a horrible friend to do so. So, I fought against the comfort and scrambled out the bed that called my name. I threw on some basic pants and didn't bother changing out of my night shirt since I wasn't going anywhere special.

After getting in the car, I drove to the bar trying my best not to be annoyed. I knew Kayla had been upset over her break up with Alex. I just hadn't known how hard it had hit her until she showed up on my doorstep the night before.

Kayla had showed up on my doorstep just as I was getting into bed. I remember peeking through the peephole and seeing her standing there with a duffle bag swung over her shoulder and her eyes seemed focused on the ground. It wasn't until I opened the door that I saw the true sorrow in her eyes as they met my gaze. There were no tears present, but I couldn't deny seeing extreme sadness in her eyes.

I couldn't erase the memory away of her rushing into my arms for a hug. I was stunned, of course, but I couldn't help giving her one in return. And, when she begged to stay for a while just until she could back on her feet because she had no where to go, I didn't hesitate to say yes. After all, it was the least I could do to repay her for being there for me when my parents had died in a car accident.

I pulled up to the bar and made my way inside. There sitting on the bar stool and slumped over the bar was Kayla. Her blonde hair was halfway over her face, but I could tell her eyes were closed. I wondered if she had passed out or if she was resting. I hoped it was the latter.

"We're closed," the familiar voice called out. A bald man on the slightly bigger side stepped out from the back room behind the bar. His red beard was long and he wore a sleeveless red and blue plaid shirt that showed off the tattoos on his arms. I wasn't shocked by the fact that his voice matched his appearance.

"I'm here for her," I told him pointing at Kayla.

"Oh you must be Julia." Him saying my name set a chill down my spine. It almost crept me out, but than I remembered he had probably spotted my name on the phone when he dialed my number earlier.

I nodded. "I'm sorry about this," I told him as I made my way to Kayla.

"It's okay," he began as he placed the keys in front of me on the bar. "This happens every now and than, so it's nothing new to me," he admitted as I shoved the keys into my pocket.