Twenty-two ~ Julia

A/N: Sorry you guys. We had a recent death in the family. So between me working, being their for my grandpa after losing his brother, and trying to focus on my pregnancy with my baby girl, I got too busy to write. We've done the funeral and my grandpa is doing better so things should go back to normal where chapters will be posted every 7 to 14 days. Hope you enjoy. Here are the next two chapters.

When I said I needed a favor from Gloria, I hadn't expected her to show up on my doorstep within the hour. I had wanted to discuss the matter over a cup of coffee away from home in hopes to make the matter less tense. However, it couldn't be avoided and I knew it couldn't once I looked through the peephole and saw her standing on my porch with a confused look on her face.

I opened the door with a forced smile on my face. "Hey Gloria," I said in a fake joyful tone.

Gloria however was not buying it as she stood there with her arms crossed. "Why is Kayla's car here?"

So much for taking things slowly. I guess I had to rip the bandage off all at once and hoped she understood. I took a deep sigh as I silently thanked that Kayla had went to bed earlier. The last thing I wanted was a drama quarrel to break out in my house again. I stepped to the side. "Come in and we'll talk about."

Gloria looked conflicted, but only for a second before making her way into the home and into the living room. I slowly followed behind her after locking up. The disapproval on Gloria's face didn't dare fall as she turned to face me. "Well?" she pressed as soon as we locked eyes once more.

"Kayla needed my help-" I began.

"Screw Kayla," she hissed cutting me off quickly as her hands fell to her hips. "She doesn't deserve your help after what she did with you."

"I didn't do it for Kayla," I tried to continue explaining. However, Gloria cut me off once more.

"Then for who?" she demanded.

"I did it for her baby."

Gloria looked at me dumbfounded and didn't say a word for a minute. For a moment, I thought she was speechless, but she quickly broke the silence with a chuckle. "She's lying. She isn't pregnant."

I took a deep breath. "That thought crossed my mind too. However, I can't just ignore the fact she may be carrying Ryan's baby."

"So you're just going to let her stay here and mooch off you again?"

I shook my head. "No. She's only staying here for a week and I told her she needs to get a job."

Gloria snorted. "Good on you for putting up boundaries. But, how do you know she'll actually look for a job this time? That didn't go over so well the first time you tried to help her out."

"Well," I started off slowly looking everywhere but at her. "That's where the favor I asked you for comes in."

"What?"

I slowly gained the courage to look back at Gloria and hoped she didn't think I was crazy for begging for help on Kayla's behave. However, again, I wasn't doing it for Kayla. I was doing it for her baby. "Well I was hoping you could get her a job at your husband's company."

Gloria groaned. "Julia."

"Please Gloria."

"I don't want to ask my ex-husband for anything for that she-devil. I barely want to ask him for anything for our daughter."

"Don't do it for her. Do it for me."

Gloria narrowed her eyes. It was obvious she hated the fact I was bringing myself into it. After all, we were best friends. She crossed her arms and sighed. "Fine. But then you got to do me a favor."

I smiled with delight knowing I could finally make Kayla get on the right track. Maybe this baby was going to be a good thing for her and this baby could make her grow up finally. "Anything." I owed her.

A smirk crossed her face and I wondered what she had planned. "I want you to talk things out with Alex."

My smile quickly dropped. "That's the favor you want from me? Not to like babysit Flora for a day or something."

Her smirk stayed strong as she stood her ground. "Nope. I want you to talk things out with Alex. Those are my terms for helping out the she-devil."

My mind completely went blank at the thought of where I would even begin. "I don't know what I would even say or where I would even begin," I managed to choke out as I took a seat on the couch.

Gloria frowned as her eyebrow arched. She ended up taking a seat next to me. "What happened that night that made you want to run out on Alex?" I bit my bottom lip unsure if I should tell her. "You can talk to me, Julia. I'm your best friend."

I took a deep breath. "I was vulnerable. We kissed and I asked him not to leave my side that night. So, we shared a bed. I got too close that night and almost ruined our friendship."

Gloria smiled once more. "All the more reason you should talk things out with Alex."

"I'll try." I told her. Was I actually going to talk to Alex? Who knew. I just needed to get Kayla back on track. Plus, Alex and I were just getting back to normal. I didn't want to completely destroy our friendship. Anyway, there was no way Gloria would find out if I talked things through with him or not. I'll just tell her later we decided to be friends and everything was cool between us.

"Great," Gloria replied with glee as she stood up from the couch. "I better get going. I have another errand to run."

It was my turn to look at her confused. "Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pull you off course."

She continued to grin. "Nonsense. You were on the way anyway."

This only made me curious enough to ask questions. "Oh really? Where are you headed?" With this, Gloria pinched her thumb and index finger together before sliding them across her lips to signal that this was a secret she wasn't going to tell. This, however, didn't kill the curiosity burrowing deeper. "Really?"

She shrugged with her playful smile dancing on her lips. "Hey. You kept a secret from me. It's only fair."

"I did? What secret?"

She narrowed her eyes without her grin dying down. "Um. You forgot that quick? The fact you were letting Kayla move in."

She wasn't lying. But, I decided to push back in hopes she would tell me her secret anyway. "I didn't keep it a secret. You found out. Didn't you?"

Gloria snorted. "Only because I showed up at your house."

"Okay, but I had planned on telling you later." This was a lie. I had no intentions of telling Gloria that Kayla was going to stay with me for the week. I figured I could get it over without any dirty work and avoid any pending drama. And it seems Gloria could tell I was lying too.

"No you didn't. You were hoping to get me to help her out without telling me she was living you because we don't get along. Face it. We all know you hate dealing with drama." She was right and I didn't dare argue. With this, her grin grew wider before she disappeared out the door.