Four ~ Julia

"What do you think?" I found Gloria's eyes in the mirror in front of me. Her eyes were narrowed and her arms crossed across her chest. I could read the hence of disapproval on her face.

"I think you're making a big mistake," she grumbled.

I sighed as I finished putting the earrings in my ears. "I'm serious, Gloria."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm serious too. I don't believe you really like him. I believe you're still trying to please your parents even from the grave."

I turned on my heel to face her before placing my hands on my hips. "I'm not trying to please my parents from the grave."

"Then why haven't you dated since you broke things off with Mike six years ago."

I took a deep breath. "Maybe it's because I was still getting over the fact he was abusive to me."

Gloria exhaled softly letting her hands fall from her annoyed stance. "I'm sorry, Julia. I just don't want you in another unhappy relationship. If you really are interested in Ryan, I'll support you."

A gentle smile crossed my face. I was truly grateful to have such a good friend that had my back. I understood her concerns. Especially since she had been there through it all with my last relationship. "I do," I told her.

"Hey, I'm about to head out." Our attention was drawn to the bedroom doorway. There stood Kayla in a mini skirt and a tank top.

A groan escaped Gloria's lips. "What is she doing here?"

Before I had a chance to answer, a smirk crossed Kayla's face as she raced me to break the news to Gloria. "Oh? She didn't tell you? I live here now."

Gloria looked at me dumbfounded and I went to answer the question that was spread across her face. "I'm letting her stay until she can get back on her feet. She and her boyfriend just broke up and she had nowhere else to go."

Gloria went back to crossing her arms in disapproval as she stared down Kayla. "Oh? Did he finally see what a terrible person you are?" Gloria spat.

I could feel an argument brew up so I decided to stop the fire before it started. "Will you two cut it out? I got to finish getting ready for my date and I'm already nervous as it is," I groaned as I walked over to sit at the vanity.

That's when I heard a snort from Kayla. I decided not to address it as I applied a dark red wine lip gloss to my lips that went perfect with my caramel skin. Kayla, however, didn't let my silence stop her. "I think you should show a little bit more skin if you're wanting to win a man over."

"I think you should keep your trap shut if you want to keep a man," Gloria mumbled back.

"Oh, well I think-"

Guys, please," I groan standing up.

Gloria threw her hands up in defeat. "Fine. I'm going to go. I need to go get Flora anyway." With that, she disappeared out the room.

As Gloria left, I could see the pleased smirk presented on Kayla's face. "Can't you two ever just get along?"

Kayla snorted. "We could if she didn't treat me like the dirt on her shoe."

I sighed. I didn't have the patience for the bickering right now. So, I decided to change the subject. "Is there anything you need before I leave?"

No. I'm just going to go over Alex's to get the rest of my stuff."

It felt my heart almost stopped in my chest at the sound of her words. I swear she was like a match steady trying to catch on fire. "Do you really think it's a good idea to go over Alex's right now?"