Twenty-seven ~ Julia

A/N: Just in case you're not a follower and you're wondering what's going on with the updates: 

I have a lot going on between going to two different doctors and having weekly monitoring and making up work at my job. So, I apologize. I'm trying to stay on top of the updates. My goal is to have this book completed by the end of March though. Thank you for the understanding and I hope you enjoy the next two chapters.

What did I want? It was a question that I had never been asked before and, to be honest, I had never thought about it before. So, when Gloria had asked me this, I wasn't sure of the answer.

Maybe that was the reason I stood on Alex's front doorstep knocking without thinking. I was unsure what I would do next or what I would say. Even as the door opened and I came face to face with him, I was completely speechless and my mind was blank. A smile crossed his face before he broke the silence. "Hey. Where you have been? I was going to surprise you at work today and see if you got the roses, but they said you had left for the evening. Is everything-"

His sentence was cut short as I stepped close and pressed my lips against his own. I felt his arms wrap around my body as he pulled me even closer. When I had finally pulled back and broke the kiss, I could see the mix of confusion and pleasure on his face. It was obvious I had caught him off guard and could truly understand. After all, I had caught myself off guard.

A few seconds went by before another smile crossed Alex's face as he stared into my eyes. "Where did that come from?" he questioned.

It was a fair question. I had probably made it seem that I had wanted nothing more then us being friends. In fact, I was sure that I had wanted that at first for many reasons. But now - "I'm sorry," I began as my eyes fell.

I felt him slightly tuck a strand behind my ear before I made eye contact once more. He was no longer smiling and his eyebrows were drawn together as his eyes studied my face. "There's no reason to be sorry," he told me in a hush tone. I knew he just wanted to comfort me. However, that was far from the truth.

"Yes there is. I've probably sending off mixed signals. First, I probably made it seem like I wanted us to be nothing more then friends. Then, I show up here out of the blue and kiss you without a second thought which isn't fair to you. I guess I just let my mind get the best of me when Gloria asked me what I wanted."

A questioning look crossed his face. "So you don't want to be friends?"

I shook my head. "No." When I saw the hurt in his eyes, I gave him a reassuring smile and quickly continued. "What I want is to be happy. I can't do that if I'm running away in the hopes of not being hurt again. I use to think there would be a guy that would mark all the boxes of the man I was told I needed growing up. But, after today, I'm starting to realize, what I thought I wanted was never based on me. What I want is to give us a chance. That is if that is what you want."

Alex grinned before planting a kiss on my lips. "Nothing would make me happier."

"So what do you say we do our first official date tonight?" I asked.

He looked shocked and I had to admit that I was a little shock too. Probably because I was making the first move this time. I never thought that would be me. However, I guess since I was already so comfortable with him and he had already showed he was interested in me from the get go, it made it easier for me to say what I wanted. "Look at you making the first move. I think I like it," he said as his grin grew into a smirk that was too sexy too explain in words. "I wish I could, but I promised to have a daddy and daughter play date with Aimee tonight. Rain check?"