Eleven ~ Alex

A/N: Before you start to read I just wanted to announce I'm going to start posting on Sundays instead of Tuesdays because the fertility meds (and possible pregnancy) is making me too sleepy after I get off work at 6 pm and do not get much writing done during the week. Still aiming for weekly though. Thanks and enjoy the story! 

Fear was painted on Julia's face, however no words left her as her brown eyes stared at me, It didn't take long before she broke the gaze and looked off in the distance once more. I took a deep breath as I decided to take a seat right next to her. I figured I had a few minutes to try and comfort her. After all, Ryan had taken off the opposite way looking for her. "Julia, are you okay?" I repeated.

She didn't dare look at me. She sat there in silence for a few seconds before exhaling softly. "I'm fine. I just-" she began to explain and then trailing off her thought.

"You can talk to me," I told her in a low tone. "If you want," I quickly added not wanting her to feel pressured.

Julia eyes met mine once more. She just sat there quietly once more. It didn't last long however. "I have terrible stage fright," she explained as her eyes fell. The statement caught me off guard because she had just gotten on the stage. I wondered why she had been on the stage then. Before I could ask her, she snorted, looked up at me once more, and answered the unspoken question. "I didn't know we were going to a karaoke bar until Ryan told me at the table."

"Why didn't you tell him?"

I couldn't take my eyes off her. Even when she looked up at the sky. "I thought about it." She paused only for a bit before making eye contact once more. "However, I couldn't bring myself to do that. Ryan only brought me to the karaoke bar because he thought he was fulfilling a childhood dream," she told me with a slight grin.

"You use to want to be a singer?"

Julia chuckled at the statement. At least she was smiling. "No. I told him I wanted to be like Nicole, who happened to be a singer. However, that's not why I wanted to be like her. I had wanted to be like her because she had so much courage to do what she wanted. I didn't have half the courage she did. Her parents had wanted her to be a lawyer, but that wasn't her passion. Her passion was singing and she wanted to go after what she wanted even if it wasn't what her parents wanted for her."

My eyebrow rose as I listened to her story. Was there something that I didn't know about her parents. I decided not to pry. "So what made you get stage freight?"

She took a deep breath. "Remember my ex fiance?" My jaw tighten. I knew of her ex fiance, but only the things she had told me for my police report after I helped her friend find her.

"Yeah, I remember that asshole. What about him?"

"Well, he would always make fun of me and how I would dress. I know it's silly, but I guess I got a fear from being judged by an audience from being judged by my husband." Julia shrugged softly.

I winced. I wondered what else had happened to Julia. My heart went out for her. She didn't deserved the hurt that the guy had put her through. I hoped Ryan would treat her differently. "I think you should be honest with Ryan about why you ran off the stage. If he is the guy for you, he'll understand. Just remember. Whatever happens, everything is going to be okay."

Julia sighed once more. "You're right," she said before leaning over and giving me a hug. "Thank you," she whispered.

"What the fuck." The hug was broken quickly and there stood a stunned Ryan. His words told me he had taken the hug out of context.

He started to turn around to leave, but Julia jumped quickly off the ground calling out to him to smooth things over. "Ryan, wait." I hoped, for Julia's sake, he would calm down and listen to what she had to say.

However, he quickly demolished that hope as he looked at her with anger. "No. You destroyed our date so you could sneak out back with him?"

Julia looked stunned and dumbfounded. I took this as a cue to stand up from my ground myself and get between the two. "Calm down. She didn't destroy your date and she didn't sneak off with me. Give her a chance to explain." I didn't like how he was taking offense quickly without even giving her a chance to defend herself. I tried to put my feelings to the side, however, because I just wanted Julia to be happy. I still felt like she could do better then him though,

Ryan snorted and I could see the disgust in his eyes. Julia took this advantage of his silence though to try and stick up for herself. "Look, Ryan." He quickly tore his gaze from mine and met hers. "I should have been honest when I learned we were in a karaoke bar, but I couldn't stand disappointing you. I know now that, that was wrong. But, I didn't leave the stage to destroy our date. I left the stage because I have stage fright."

Ryan's jaw worked as he looked at her in silence. A few moments passed before he spoke up. "You should have told me."

"I know and I'm sorry." I could see the desperation in Julia's face. It made me want to hold her close and let her know everything would be okay. I knew this wasn't the time or place for that though.

"I need some time to think," he said turning on his heel to leave Julia standing there in a heap of sadness.

"Ryan," she cried out to him as tears slowly rolled down her face. He didn't dare to turn and face her however as he he continued to walk away from her. "I didn't mean to hurt him. What if he doesn't forgive me for not being honest with him," she sobbed.

I couldn't fight off the urge to comfort her anymore. I pulled her in an embrace as I held her close in my arms. Her face fell into my chest as she let the tears fully escape. "It's going to be okay," I whispered. I wanted nothing more then to take the pain away from her, but I couldn't think of a way to take that pain from her. Instead I lifted her chin so she was looking at me. Her eyes were glassy from the fresh tears steady forming. "Come on, I'll take you home."

Julia groaned. "Great, Kayla will have fun with the 'I told you so'."

My eyebrow arched as looked at her. "What do you mean?"

"She advised me to wear something more revealing to make up for the last date. She's probably going to think it would have saved this date."

I rolled my eyes. Kayla really did think looks solved everything. Julia was beautiful without showing loads of skin. "You mean the date she ruined?" Julia looked uncomfortable, so I quickly apologized. "I'm sorry. How about you come sleep at my place and go home in the morning? You can have my bed and I'll take the couch."

Julia stood there silently for a moment before giving her answer. "Alright. I'll just send her a text to let her know I'll be staying over my friend's place tonight."