One ~ Julia

A/N: I apologize. I'm majorly re-writing this novel. Why? Well I have been recovering from a miscarriage and starting over with my IVF cycle when I reread this to see where I was at. Then I decided I wanted to burn and re-write it. Hope you don't mind and enjoy.

"And they lived happily ever after," I said before closing the book. Aimee quickly peered up at me with her bright blue baby eyes as she continued to lean her head against my chest. I grinned softly at her.

"Another one," she begged. I was able to restrain myself from chuckling at her request with a mask of a smile.

I shook my head softly at her request. "You need to be asleep before your dad gets home," I told her before slipping out of her bed.

A pout came across her face, but she didn't give me much a fight as she said "okay". With that, I tucked her into the bed and left her room with only a crack of her door.

I took a deep breath as my smile quickly dropped before I pulled out my phone to look at the time. It was nearly nine o clock and Kayla hadn't answered any of my texts asking when she was coming back. Kayla had asked me to keep an eye on Aimee while she had went to help a friend of hers. I decided to give her a ring, but didn't get a response. Instead of leaving her a message, I sent her a quick text reminding her that Alex should be home soon since she had told me he hadn't known Kayla was not only leaving, but was leaving Aimee with me. I didn't think it was right, but Kayla promised it wouldn't have been long and the friend really needed her help.

Kayla quickly responded back saying she was wrapping things up. A deep sigh escaped my lips. I hoped she would get back soon. Alex and her already seemed rocky and this would be something that would throw their relationship over the edge. That was the last thing I wanted for them. They seemed like a good couple.

To keep my mind off the close call, I started picking up Aimee's toys and doing light house work. Then I curled up on the couch to watch a movie. It wasn't until the credits rolled that I noticed it was almost eleven at night. Alex would be home in an hour from his job. I tried calling Kayla again, but again she didn't answer. I silently cursed. "Why won't you pick up your phone, Kayla," I mumbled under my breath as I went to the text screen to warn her that Alex would be home soon.

Within minutes, she texted me back telling me to chill out and she would be home before midnight. I stared dumbfounded at the phone wondering how she could be so lighthearted about the situation. Granted, I knew nothing about their relationship other than what Kayla told me, but I knew from the sounds of it, it was on the edge. So why was she pushing it?

As I stared at the phone trying to sort out my train of thought, I heard the door. My heart raced with relief as I quickly jumped off the couch and made my way to the front door. "It's about time you showed-"

My words trailed off when I realized that it wasn't Kayla at the door. It was none other than Alex himself. He turned around and faced me still dressed in his cop uniform. His brown eyes met mine as he towered over me. Confusion was plastered on his face as soon as our gazes locked. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

I swallowed hard as I was hit with the sudden question. What was I supposed to say to him? I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I quickly said what first came to mine. "Kayla invited me over to help with Aimee. I hope you don't mind." It wasn't a lie and Alex didn't seem angry at the request.

In fact, he seemed the opposite as a smile crossed his face. "Well, I'm sure Aimee enjoyed having you over to spend time with her and Kayla." I returned his smile. Sure. Her and Kayla. I felt bad for not telling him the full truth, but I didn't want to be the reason that their relationship ended if it did. "Did she give you guys a problem going to bed?"