Chapter 20 - perfume for the god of contracts

~•~•~

Once they were further away from the merchant, Zhongli sighs. "Must you always tease me when you get the chance?", he asks only to be answered by laughter. "Oh come on now, this shouldn't be anything new to you~. But, if you must. Think of this as payback for scaring me to death back then.", Lyra snaps back, her voice laced in a fake polite tone, to tease Zhongli once more.

Aether looks back and forth between the two, both confused and worried. "What did mr. Zhongli do to get your wrath?" – "oh, you will figure out on your own sooner or later.", Lyra answers. Zhongli sighs again. "I suppose I had it coming. And again, I apologise for scaring you. I should have at least told you about it, seeing how close we once were and still are."

"anyway, away from that topic. Now that we've got the flowers, how do we make the perfume?", Paimon asks. While the other two don't notice, Lyra can see from Zhongli's eyes that he is grateful for the topic change. "Ideally, with the help of an expert. Unfortunately, none of my acquaintances have personal experience in the art of decoction..."

They all collectively look at Lyra. She just shakes her head. "Of course, of course. If none of the shops have changed from the prior decade or two, then I know where we can go.", she answers. Zhongli nods. "I will wait for you near the statue of the seven. Meet me there when the perfume is ready."

~•~•~

The travelling trio goes to Chihu rock and go to one of the shops in the side alley, approaching a lady. "Hello, we would like to make some homemade perfume.", Lyra says, dominance and confidence lacing her voice once more. Aether looks at her in awe. 'I still find it so awe inspiring how she can just switch between moods and personalities... this must be one of her prior lives here, or else she wouldn't switch to it so much whenever talking to a merchant or seller.'

The lady smiles and nods. "Of course, my name is Ying'er, the shop assistant here at scent of spring. What kind would you like?" – "a bespoke triple-silk-flower variety...", Aether answers her. Ying'er looks surprised "three in one go... my goodness. You have extreme tastes for someone your age. Maybe the rumours I heard were true after all. You're on the prowl and need some sweet-smelling ammunition, is that it?"

Before Aether could say anything, Lyra chimes in. "If you must, we need the perfume for the rite of parting for Rex lapis. As it is the lord of geo this rite is for, the organisers have decided to go by old traditions. Hence why we need three kinds." Ying'er nods.

"I'm happy to help. All of you can be my assistants. So... where is a good place for making sweet, sweet perfume?", she asks. "Wanmin Restaurant would be a good choice, considering it is close by.", Lyra says. Ying'er nods in agreement and the group heads over to the restaurant.

~•~•~

"I've had a word with chef Mao. We can work now. While I'm setting up, you can go and fetch some water", Ying'er says. Lyra looks over at Aether, one eyebrow raised. He recognises the hint and goes to do as told. Ying'er looks up from her preparations. "This water will do nicely", she says as she takes the water from him and adds it to a pot.

"Now, I need you to extract the silk flower essence using a crafting bench. Perfume-making uses an altogether different technique from alchemy. Here, let me teach you." Ying'er then proceeds to take Aether's wrist and help him while instructing him. "Very carefully take hold of the mortar and pestle... gently does it. You need to keep your wrist firm so your hand doesn't slip... now use your strong hand to stir it with a persistent rhythm... keep going until the juices start to come out...", she instructs.

Aether sighs. "Don't worry, I know what I'm doing.", he mumbles. Lyra just shakes her head, amused. After a while, Aether finishes. "Ooh... you're a natural! Like a fish to water. Now, take these and try it out on your own using a nearby crafting bench. Don't forget to do all three. They look visually identical during the essence extraction process, but.i will put them into separate containers when the perfume is ready.", Ying'er says.