Chapter 41 - the tradgedy of the god of salt

~•~•~

After a while of walking, they see a broken sword.

"This is... a sword? Aha! It's a broken sword, this is proof! This proves that the god of salt had to fight back, fight back against the evil Morax! But sadly, she was defeated... the power of this sword surely is much greater than the salt chalice and salt ruler! If we can repair this sword, we can show the world the mighty power of the god of salt...", Wanyan mutters.

"Hm... two pieces of a broken sword. If I remember correctly, from an archaeological perspective, these are two separate relics.", Lyra says.

"Correct. And according to the contract, you can only claim one.", Zhongli adds. Wanyan looks at the two shocked.

"Wh-why? We were alternating claims to treasure, true, but Kliment is no longer here...", Wanyan says, confused.

"Ahem... I believe you are forgetting that I also agreed to this contract. It is not only you two that are subject to it. Also, the 'only one object per claim' clause still holds true. You can't take two relics at the same time.", Lyra argues.

"Th-this logic... surely we can let this slide just this one?", Wanyan tries to negotiate.

"When there's a contract, nothing can be allowed to 'slide'. If the contract is not followed, then it is broken.", Zhongli denies her attempt.

"No! If I only take one half, then it can't be repaired, and the power of the god of salt cannot be restored... unless... miss Lyra, would you take the second half as your claim and donate it for repair?", Wanyan asks hopefully.

"I agreed to only take something small, of little to no archaeological significance. Well... as long as it doesn't have anything to do with Havria personally, I won't make that claim. Also, I limited myself to one object from this entire ruin only. So apologies, but I cannot help you.", Lyra answers, shaking her head.

"But... no matter what, I must be faithful to her... even if it breaks the contract, I don't care.", Wanyan declares.

"So you have already decided? Hmm... then there is a price to pay for breaking the contract. That is to say, you consign yourself to 'suffer the wrath of the rock and the fury of the Qilin'.", Zhongli states.

"That... that's okay. The god of salt gave up her life to protect her people. My sacrifice is nothing compared to that. Punish me however you want. Just let me take this proof of my faith!", Wanyan shouts.

Lyra and Zhongli look at each other. 'Tell us the truth of what happened, Zhongli...', Lyra thinks to herself, looking at Zhongli with down-cast eyes.

As if getting the memo, Zhongli nods. "As punishment, I will tell you the truth.", he states.

Wanyan looks at him confused. "Huh? The truth? You mean the truth is my punishment?", she says, bewildered.

"Yes. The truth that I am about to tell you shall be your price to pay for breaking the contract.", Zhongli clarifies.

"I'm afraid to say that the god of salt, Havria, was not the powerful god you imagine her to be. Rather, she was a small and weak god who yielded to all other gods. When it came to war, she lost... never being able to win a seat among the seven.", Zhongli reveals.

"Wh-what?!", Wanyan exclaims.

"It's true... I once read about Havria... she was described as a kind, yet weak god. She had a close relationship to the god of dust, Guizhong, and the first adeptus of Morax, Liliang, even before Morax established himself.", Lyra confirms.

"During the archon war, the gods of this world used all their strength and cunning to vie for control of Teyvat. But Havria instead chose to flee. She thought that by giving up before a fight could start, she could save herself and her people from the war. However, during such a long war, there is no end to the advances of aggressors. After making countless concessions, Havria lost all of her lands until only one small haven remained.", Zhongli explains.

"No... no... it can't be so...", Wanyan denies.

"In her last days, she had not even a single blade to defend her people with.", Zhongli continues. "

'Not even a single blade'? Then, this sword...", Wanyan trails off.

"This sword is not a relic belonging to the god of salt... but is instead the murder weapon used to kill her.", Zhongli reveals.

"Murder weapon? No! That's not true, that can't be true! You are trying to test my faith in the god of salt!", Wanyan screams.

"As I said before, I only state the facts.", Zhongli states.

"Preposterous! Y-you are a follower of Morax, don't try to trick me!", Wanyan shouts, storming off further into the ruins.

"Wanyan!", Lyra shouts after her. As Wanyan leaves her eyesight, she sighs.

"I know you don't lie when it comes to such things... so is that all that happened?", Lyra solemnly asks, looking back at Zhongli.

"The only thing I have yet to reveal is how she was murdered... that is something we shall find out for ourselves as we continue on. Come now, Lilia. You and I both know that these ruins are ending soon.", Zhongli says, following the path Wanyan ran off to.

"... what will we find ahead? More of these statues?", Lyra asks hesitantly.

"Salt. And betrayal.", Zhongli sighs.

~•~•~