Chapter 59 - old companion

~•~•~

The trio manages to flee the ruins, arriving back outside. That's when a blonde haired man in dark clothing approaches them.

"So we meet again, a little sooner than I had expected.", he says once in earshot.

Paimon and Aether wave at him, as Lyra stands behind them, staring at the man. "Hey, it's Dain!", Paimon exclaims. The man looks at Lyra.

"Hmmm? You must be Lyra, their other travelling companion, yes? I'm not sure if they've told you about me, but I'm Dainslef and these two commissioned me back in Mondstadt."

Lyra just continues to stare at him as she nods in greeting.

"Yes, I am. Hello, Dainslef. So... you're the one they were investigating the Abyss with... as it happens, we've just encountered something very interesting inside the ruins connected to the Abyss."

Dainslef hums. "I see... could it be you encountered an Abyss herald in those ruins?", Dain asks.

Paimon gasps. "Huh?! How did you know that?", she asks him.

"Ive been on the Abyss Herald's trail. I didn't expect to find you here as well."

Lyra sighs and steps forward. "There is something else other than the Herald that's worrying us...", she says.

That is when Aether explains the strange upside down statue and the deceased thief. It gives Lyra some time to collect her thoughts as she looks at Dainslef.

'Long has it been since we last saw each other, old friend... what a rare occasion indeed... I wonder... do you believe I am dead or that I am roaming an immortal life as you are..?'

After Aether finishes explaining, Dainslef hums in thought. "An inverted statue of the seven... holding abyssal power in its hands? No, I have never seen such a thing during my time fighting the Abyss... though I have had my suspicions... tell me the rest of what happened in there. So you escaped the depths filled with Abyss power and then?"

"And then, as we got close to the exit, an Abyss Herald suddenly appeared and blocked our path. We fought a big battle with that thing. Paimon thinks that maybe it hasn't gotten too far yet...", Paimon tells him.

"Yes, this is a rare opportunity indeed. Come, lets catch up to it.", Dain says, tuning away. Lyra merely nods, following his lead. Paimon also quickly follows as well.

"Wait, I thought I as the one who commissioned you...", Aether mutters helplessly as he follows.

Paimon chuckles happily. "Let's go! A rare opportunity! With Dain helping out, maybe we'll be able to solve more mysteries about the Abyss!"

~•~•~

"Say, Dain... i can't help but wonder... your clothes, they don't fit to one of the seven nations at all. Where do you come from?", Lyra asks as they walk.

"...", Dain stays silent, looking over at her. "Why does my origin matter?"

Lyra shakes her head, looking around. "It doesn't. Well, not really. You are not bound to your nation of origin but i do believe that it does shape the way you are as a person."

"Oh? How come?", Paimon asks, curiously. Aether and Dainslef are also looking at her in interest.

Lyra chuckles. "You two already know of that, don't you? Anyways, considering the different traditions and customs of each nation of Teyvat, its not uncommon that people of different nations to be different in nature. Someone of Mondstadt may love poetry and ballads, while someone of Fontaine will love drama and plays. Then, someone of Liyue will always pursue contracts, unlike Mondstadters who value freedom or Sumerians and their wisdom. Ones origin says a lot of a person."

Aether nods in thought. "I see... so, how did Fontaine shape you, then? Or is it because of that, that it doesn't impact you as much?"

Paimon groans. "Why do we call it 'that' anyway? Can't we call it by something else?"

"I usually call them cycles in my head, if you like that more... anyway, i love my fair share of drama and ploys... a good plot twist never ceases to make my mood better. When we get to Fontaine, I'll show you all there is to love, Aether, Paimon.", Lyra laughs.

Paimon and Aether shine. "Yay! Paimon is so happy we have you as our companion, Lyra! Also, cycles is a good name to describe them, Paimon agrees!"

That is when Dainslef clears his throat. "Excuse me, but... what are these 'cycles' you talk of?", he asks.

Lyra pauses, stopping. "... my cycles are none of your concern, Dainslef. Let us continue with our pursuit." Then, she continues onward, leaving the others slightly behind.

Aether and Paimon look at each other in concern before following quickly together with Dainslef.

'I'm sorry, old friend. But i cannot tell you. At least, not yet. When the time is right, the twilight sword and the twilight spear will officially reunite...'

~•~•~