Chapter 13 - delving into the past

~•~•~

As the group continues to climb the mountain to Albedo's campsite, they find Starsilver clusters. "here... that should do for catalyst purposes. This one. Useable with a bit of polish.", he says as he points at the clusters. Lyra nods and mines the Starsilver without problems with a geo crystal.

"what luck! This should be enough. My campsite is just up ahead. I'll lead the way." Shortly after, they arrive at the campsite. "this is my campsite. I've added the materials we collected to the concoction. While we are waiting, have a look over there." he points to one of the tables. In front of the table is Timaeus.

"my assistant Timaeus here is helping me with my research. I'm guessing you may have met in Mondstadt already?", Albedo asks. Lyra nods her head.

"Hello, I've just gotten hold of the data from your experiment. The report is already up on the board there." Paimon flies over to the board and looks at the papers hanging from it. "whoa! Look at all the data! You got all these results from one slime battle each?", Paimon asks. Timaeus laughs. "I wouldn't call them results. Inferences, and a few daring guesses perhaps.", he explains.

Lyra also goes to have a look at the board. While she carefully reads through the data collected, the others continue talking. "I think the most rational direction would be to expound on the phylogenetic relationship between honorary knights and the slimes.", Timaeus says.

"rational?". Aether asks Timaeus. "hm, consider: you don't have a vision, but you can manipulate elemental energy. Lyra perhaps has a vision, but the data shows she is able to control elements other than her vision's element. The slimes don't have visions either, yet they, too, are able to manipulate the elements. Following this line of thought, I'm sure we'll be able to establish a basis in fact."

Albedo nods slowly. "not bad for a point of entry, but strictly speaking, slimes are elemental life forms. In other words, beings consisting entirely of the elements. A cryo Register or even a Whooperflower might be a better analogy. But tracing back to phylogenetic relationships between plants and animals... you might have to trace back to the world's origins. In that sense, things might get difficult, don't you think?", Albedo says. "Uh! Yes, sir. That sounds correct.", the alchemy assistant stutters out.

"after all, we've got our primary data already. This traveller is a visitor from another world. If it turned out that he did have phylogenetic relationship with this world... now that would be something, wouldn't it?", Albedo states.

"Ahh, it would! Apologies I was so excited to get the data. I'll slow down a bit next time. But what about Lyra? She did confirm that she comes from Fontaine, so she has some kind of phylogenetic relationship with this world. Perhaps the reason why she can control other elements beside the one her vision holds has something to do with the fact Aether can use elements without a vision, perhaps not. What do you think, Mr. Albedo?"

Albedo thinks for a moment, then looks at Lyra who is looking at the data closely. "I am unsure right now... is there something you are hiding, perhaps, Lyra?", he asks her. Lyra turns to him and giggles.

"perhaps you already forgot, but I already told you that I have secrets of my own. I just reviewed your data. All your data regarding me is... partially correct. You must know, I am actually able to use all elements. Though it is true I held back a lot. Then I do have a couple of special abilities, some of those harm me if I use them even the slightest. Though the reason why I have them?" she giggles once more. "perhaps I can sing you a song about it. Now or later, your decision. I am tired of explaining it over and over again without any changes."

"wait, so you made a song out of this thing you got?! When??", Paimon blurts out. "just last night. I knew I would have to tell a lot of people on our journey. One, because they are trustworthy, or two, I knew them in the past. Either way, they then deserve to know. At least, parts of it.", Lyra explains.