Chapter 58 - the odd statue in the ruins

~•~•~

"From what Lan said, it should be this...", Lyra mutters, looking at the ruins in front of them.

"Well, then. I say we go in and check.", Aether says, starting to head inside.

Lyra shares a look with Paimon before following Aether into the ruins.

"Huh.. what's this? There are signs of Treasure Hoarder activity here! They must've come to these ruins.", Paimon yells, flying over to a small camp with the Treasure Hoarder insignia.

"Let's go deeper inside.. Paimon sure hopes Ganyu's information is reliable..."

They head deeper into the ruins, only to find a few hilichurls standing guard. They make quick work of them before heading further in. "There aren't many guards here... looks like their plan to draw away the Abyss Order's forces really worked!", Paimon chimes.

Lyra shrugs. "If they used all of their forces just to lure out the Abyss, I believe they will be busy for quite a while," Lyra looks around the ruins as they pass more camps along the way, " there are even camps of the Treasure Hoarders here... they were really thorough with this... they must really want the Abyss Order's treasure... come on we should hurry. We don't know what the Grand Thief can do."

The travelling trio hurries through the rest of the ruins, passing the traps with ease until they arrive at the inner most Center of the ruins.

"H-hey... isn't that a person over there? Could that be the grand thief? Why is he in that position? Is he praying?", Paimon mutters as they see a figure kneeling in front of a structure.

Out of curiosity, they approach the figure and as they draw closer, they recognise it. Paimon gasps at the sight.

"A... statue of the seven..? Of Venti..?", Lyra mutters in dispelief.

"W-why is this statue of the seven... hanging upside-down..? And the statue's hands... Paimon remembers they are normally holding an orb, right?"

"yeah... but that... that is abyssal energy... just what is the Abyss Order planning to do...?", Lyra says, barely over a whisper.

"The grand thief hasn't moved an inch since we came in here... do you think...?", Aether starts as he stands behind him. Looking closely at him, the trio comes to a terrifying realisation.

It was Paimon who voiced their thoughts. "H-he's dead... Paimon doesn't feel so good, Lyra and Aether..."

"how did he die...?", Aether mumbles out.

"No questions for now. We need to report back to the Guild immediately!", Lyra demands, ushering them out.

Suddenly, the ground shakes and the way they came from fell apart.

"Damn it! We need to leave. Now!"

They run over to another doorway that leads them out by another way.

As they finally end up in the final room before the exit, their path is blocked by a creature of the abyss.

"You cannot spy on the secrets of the abyss," it starts, "you have come here, you have seen our secrets. For this, you must pay the price. As a herald, I will mete out your punishment."

The abyss herald readies himself, taking out his blades.

"An abyss herald?!", Paimon shrieks.

"You are the monster we were tracking with Dain...", Aether mutters.

Lyra is shocked by hearing that name, but shakes it off for later. Quickly, she takes out her sword, and stands before the other two, who were still gawking at the Abyss Herald.

"Dain... Dainsleif? Oh, I thought you were just a couple of pests that stumbled in here by mistake... so, you are with Dainsleif, that constant annoyance in our affairs... did he send you here to die? His resistance against the Abyss has gone nowhere for a long time. There is nothing you can do to change the tide... the abyss... is unstoppable!" As the Abyss Herald charges at them, Lyra interjects it.

"Aether! Get out of that stupid stupor of yours and help me!", she shouts.

Thankfully, Aether listens and starts fighting as well.

Even though it is the two agains one, the Abyss Herald is able to keep up with the both of them easily. After a bit of back and forth, the Abyss herald relents.

"This power... it seems familiar... ah! I see... so its you... you are the one! In that case, I shall stay here no longer...", the abyss herald mutters as he disappears into a portal.

Lyra's breath hitches. 'It knows...it must know... it must have drawn the conclusion of how similar the two are!', Lyra thinks to herself, looking at Aether, who looked lost.

Lyra sighs.

"We don't have time to think about anything right now. We need to leave now before anything else happens."

Quickly, she runs out, the others following closely.

~•~•~