Chapter 18 - Wanshang, the "mysterious" organisation

~•~•~

"how did you know what to say?", Paimon asks Lyra as they head towards the next Adepti abode. "easy. When we first arrived, I was on that very same terrace. While looking out, I said one of my old quotes. That was when he appeared. I figured that if I did something like that again, he would appear again.", Lyra explains.

"so, what were you talking about when you said that old quote of yours?", Aether asks. "well... those were my final words... or rather the words I said as I prepared to protect him and other Adepti. I died protecting them... regardless... we have other things to worry about..." Both Paimon and Aether look at Lyra as her eyes start to tear.

The two look at each other, then nod. "hey, Lyra. How about you go back to the harbour? We understand that you are still very shaken up about what happened... so, let us take this one!", Aether says. "Are you sure?", Lyra asks them.

"mhm! Just give us the locations and the Sigil of Permission. We will do this on our own!", Paimon reassures. Lyra smiles at them, gives them the locations of the other Adepti abodes, hands over the Sigil of Permission, and goes on her way back to Liyue harbour.

~•~•~

Immediately upon arriving at the harbour, Lyra heads to Wangsheng funeral parlour. "hello Zhongli...", she says as she arrives at his office. "oh, Lyra. Are you alright?", he asks, looking up from his paperwork.

"not really... I just remembered some not so pleasant memories of the archon war...", she confesses. Zhongli's eyes soften. "come here, my dear Qilin." She doesn't think twice to approach him. Zhongli stands up and opens his arms, letting her into a hug.

"they are still gone... even with my sacrifice...", Lyra mumbles as she cries into his chest. "but without your sacrifice, we wouldn't have won. You fought for the better of others.", Zhongli argues.

Lyra gives out an empty chuckle. "to protect our people, honour and might, for that I stand and for that I will sacrifice myself for your safety. I knew my Sigils, barriers and seals would still persist even when I died... I knew I had more than one chance in life since that had already been my third life, but the others? They only have one shot... and so... because I was able to at least lengthen their time, even if just a little bit or by many years, at least they could be there for longer."

"you have always thought for the better of others. However... what about yourself? Have you ever followed your own wishes?", Zhongli asks. Lyra stays silent, tilting her head to the side.

"not really. I do think about my own desires and wishes at times, but for me, the desires and happiness of others are more important. They all only have one life while I have who knows how many. When I first set out to be a traveller to travel around the whole of Teyvat, I first made a prophecy appear. It told me that things of the past would repeat, not necessarily exactly the same way they did in the past, but somewhat similar. 'Beware, history is repeating, some in a way known to one, some altered in some way...' For example, in Mondstadt, Dvalin was poisoned. The thing that connects that with something similar from the past is Durin, the dragon who now lies in Dragonspine. Now, I have to make sure such things of the past pass without problems."

"I see... would you like to rest for now? I am fairly certain that you are very tired.", Zhongli suggests. "oh, I am.", Lyra admits easily. Zhongli smiles and breaks their hug. "you can rest over there on the couch. I am just here, going to continue my paperwork."

Lyra smiles and nods. Then, she goes over to the couch and lies down. Just after a few seconds, she slowly drifts to sleep.

~•~•~