Chapter 6 - the curses and blessings brought by eternal rebirth

~•~•~

Once the tavern closes, Aether and Paimon return. "you're here.", Lyra comments. They all turn to the door.

"...master Jean?", Paimon asks carefully. "she came here as 'Jean' herself, not as the acting grand master. A Jean you would never see, even as an honorary knight.", Diluc states.

After that, Jean takes the initiative. "Diluc told me about the details. Now that everyone is here, let us discuss the plan. So, the sound of the holy lyre can purify Stormterror and return him to normal... is that true?" Venti nods. "that's right! The honorary knights are putting themselves on the front line to try and resolve this Stormterror issue. Now, that's the hotshot of the knights of Favonius I'm talking about."

"Feels like we're breaking the law though...", Paimon mumbles. Diluc sighs and turns to Paimon. "I understand this kind of absurd explanation is hard to believe. But, we can ask the bard to play the song again to try to persuade-"

He gets cut off by Jean. "I believe you." – "to persuade our stubborn command- wait what?" he looks at Jean. "I can't think of any reason for Dvalin's betrayal, given it was once one of the four winds. However, if it was poisoned in the battle over Mondstadt all those years ago and then corrupted by the abyss mage after it woke up – we can't really blame it. But as acting grand master I obviously cannot make such a statement publicly. Diplomatic pressure from the fatui makes it hard for us to seek a peaceful resolution to the Stormterror issue. People would think I've lost grip on the gravity of the situation. That's why I can only do this in private.", Jean explains.

Diluc scoffs. "that's one of the reasons I don't like the knights of Favonius. What surprises me is that you would believe an outlander so easily..." Jean shakes her head. "my cautious and meticulous superior, even you trust her. Don't you, sir?" he scoffs once more. "I already told you not to call me sir... never mind. We don't often get to work together after all."

The trio looks between the two confused. "sir?", Aether questions. Jean and Diluc stay silent for a moment. "Doesn't matter right now. Though i want to ask... why are the Fatui so keen on handling the Stormterror threat themselves", Lyra inquires.

"I am uncertain myself, but if I had to guess... they want to try and gain Dvalin's power for the Cryo archon.", Jean answers. "anyways... Lyra, there was something you wanted to tell us once Aether and Paimon also are here. What is it?", Diluc diverts the topic.

The two travellers look at Lyra confused. "huh? What are you talking about?", Paimon questions. Jean turns to them. "while you weren't here yet and the tavern was still open, I asked her how she knows more about Mondstadt's history than all of the people of Mondstadt. She said she would answer once you two were also present.", she explains.

Lyra nods affirmative. "now, before I start explaining, I trust all of you keep this a secret. I have never told this to anyone in the past up until now when I told Venti a few hours ago." They nod at her, while Diluc looks at her a little sceptical. "...alright. I shall trust you on this one.", Diluc gives in reluctantly.

Lyra takes a deep breath. "this is not my first life. It is my fifteenth life actually. My first life was 7000 years ago. I got cursed with reincarnation by the creator of this curse. I remember everything that happened in the past and I can also use my powers and abilities of the past. When I said eleventh earlier, I was talking about my eleventh life. In that life, I was a spiritual dualist known as Yui."

Lyra continues, "The reason I know about Mondstadt so much is because my fourth and twelfth life lived here. My fourth life was called Willow, he is now known as the nameless bard who saved old Mondstadt from the old tyrannical anemo god, Decarabian, 2600 years ago. I died during the revolution. My twelfth life is actually an ancestor of you, Jean. Lynda Grunnhildr. As that life, I was the grand master of the knights of Favonius and also held the title you have today: dandelion knight.", Lyra finishes explaining.