Chapter 50 - task one: complete

~•~•~

After a while, the travelling trio arrive at the building site of the Jade Chamber situated not far from the Golden house. There they see Shenhe talking to one of Ningguang secretaries.

"This is top tier, in size and quality, and the condition it's in is quite simply immaculate... Congratulations, this item is approved for submission. I'm going to award you full marks for the 'sunset Vermillionite' item... may I take your name?", the secretary asks Shenhe.

"My name isn't important. I'm not even here to compete. I was just delivering this for some other people. They should be here any minute now...", Shenhe mutters.

"Hello, Baiwen. Please, put it under Aether's name.", Lyra says as they approach the secretary and Shenhe. To this they turn to face her.

"Ah, so you're the ones behind this. No wonder. The rarest talent turns in the rarest Plaustrite specimen.", Baiwen, the secretary, chuckles.

"So, what do you think of the rock we found? Pretty amazing, right?", Paimon asks.

Baiwen nods. "In truth, it is the finest piece of plaustrite we have so far. If everything goes according to plan, we will use this piece in the foundation of the Jade Chamber, which will enable us to proceed to the next stage of construction," Baiwen continues.

"As a side note, Lady Ningguang has rented some dwellings in the nearby area to serve as accommodations for the contestants. If you need a place to rest, you are welcome to stay there.. now, please excuse me. As you can see, there is still a lot of work to do on the building site. Although, before I forget... Lyra, Lady Ningguang wishes to talk to you if you have time later today." With that, Baiwen leaves and continues her work.

"Well then. Let's go to these accommodations Baiwen talked about. Once we get rooms for the three of you, I will go and talk to Ning-Ning," Lyra sighs, walking ahead of the others. Shenhe simply nods, following her closely and trusting her judgment.

"But I wanted to ask Shenhe a question...", Aether mumbles, before sighing and following suit with Paimon.

"Lyra seems to treat her quite... 'normal', don't you think? Although, Paimon supposes that is because she also once was an Adeptus, meaning she doesn't really see the need to needlessly respect. So far, Shenhe seems to appreciate that though...", the pixie mutters, Aether merely nodding along.

~•~•~

As Aether and Paimon catch up with the two women, Lyra had just finished talking to a man.

"Ah, there you are. I just talked to the hotel owner. He said he has two rooms left, so one is for Shenhe and the other is for you two," she says, handing over a key.

"What about you?", Aether asks confused.

"I already have my accommodations. After all, I am helping directly under Ningguang's orders and she already prepared something for me. Now then, rest up you three. I have to go see Ningguang now."

She waves goodbye as she walks away from the hotel.

"Well... good night Shenhe. We'll see you tomorrow morning!", Paimon says.

"Alright. I will head to my room for now. If you need anything, don't hesitate to disturb me. I'm a light sleeper. I will hear if you know on the door." With that, Shenhe disappears into one of the houses provided.

"Huh? Hey, isn't that Cloud Retainer? What's she doing here? Come on, Aether, let's go and say hi!"

~•~•~

"How are the preparations going?" Is the first thing Lyra asks when she sees Ningguang.

"Good. Keqing is still overseeing the building of the modified Guizhong Ballistas, Beidou and her crew are also on alert and medicine has already been pre-ordered." Lyra sighs.

"And the Adepti?"

"have already been notified. From what they said, they would be watching the fight, and intervene if needed."

Lyra nods at Ningguang's statement.

"Retainer has her little disciple helping out here. She has a good heart, but her social awareness is stunned, probably coming from the adepti lifestyle. I trust you will help her accommodate to the environment of Liyue harbour," she states.

Ningguang nods. "Of course. Cloud retainer had her coming here for the Adepti sigils. Although, I suppose both you and the adepti disciple can make them together. How are you, though? After Osail's attack, you had quite the backlash from using your adeptal powers. I know we saw each other multiple times after that, but we were both rather busy. You still seem quite unwell."

Lyra looks at Ningguang, then averts her eyes. She sighs.

"I suppose nothing gets past your eyes, huh? Well, you are right about me still being unwell. For the past days and weeks, I have done my best to only use my vision and physical strength if needed. I avoid using any of my powers currently... after all, if all goes to ruin, I will need all the energy I have to conjure the shield around the harbour and make it hold against Beisht's attacks."

Lyra pauses, looking down to her hands.

"But besides that, I also avoid using my powers to not further risk my health. Archons know, I could accidentally kill myself if I overuse my powers. Actually, due to me using a quite dangerous power of mine since Mondstadt, I am already at risk... just a bit more and I won't be able to do anything anymore... I know there is someone in Inazuma who will be able to help me, but until I am able to get there, I will just have to live with this a little longer."

~•~•~