Chapter 35 - the assassination of the god of salt

~•~•~

"What I am about to say is a bit disrespectful of the lord of geo and would draw a lot of angry looks... so it's best to discuss this somewhere quiet.", Wanyan starts.

"Your Argument just now exhibited acuteness of speech and thought. Most importantly, you don't fall for the boasting and acting of others. You remain objective. So I have a question for you. Perhaps you two will answer differently from other scholars Do you think all the gods that the geo archon killed were evil?", she asks.

"Ooh... tough question... I'll let Zhongli answer first before sharing my own thoughts.", Lyra says.

"...Let's not analyse it in terms of good versus evil. Rex Lapis placed great importance on the integrity of contracts, so any gods he killed certainly must have broken some kind of contract.", Zhongli says.

"Well I suppose that is the very basic foundation of my thoughts.", Lyra shrugs. "Morax killed many gods, yes, but those he did kill were those who posed a threat to his people. So, in essence, they were violating his contract of keeping his people safe.", she explains her thoughts.

"But when I was doing some research, I learned about the legend of the god of salt.", Wanyan argues. Lyra's breath hitches. "Harvia... I haven't heard anyone mention her in a long time...", she mutters.

Wanyan nods. "Yes, Harvia, the god of salt, was a very kind god, but she encountered Morax one day in battle... Morax used rather underhanded tactics to... assassinate her.", she explains.

Lyra's eyes widen. "But... that doesn't make any sense... both Morax and Harvia were in a mutual agreement to support each other's civilisations through trade... not to mention, Morax's Adeptus, Liliang, would hunt down Morax herself if that were the case.", Lyra mutters, eying Zhongli.

"She would..? But she is known to be one of Morax's most loyal Adepti! Not to mention, she was the very first Adeptus to be bound by contract to him! Also, she had already been dead at that point!", Wanyan argues.

"While that is the case, she was the one to introduce Morax to Harvia and instigated the mutual support between their civilisations. Had Morax even thought about hurting one of her friends, she would've done everything to stop him. Regardless, what are your thoughts on this, Zhongli?", Lyra responds.

'That translates to, tell me what happened after I died, Morax.', Zhongli sweat drops. "This... this bit of history is a long story. But you may not like the truth when you hear it.", Zhongli says to Wanyan.

"Don't worry, please tell me what you know! This event... I have already researched this for a long time...", she begs. Zhongli is at a loss of words.

"Zhongli... are you... ashamed of what happened?", Lyra asks, to which Zhongli immediately shakes his head. "No, no. It's just... where should I begin?", he answers.

"So... it is a complicated story, huh?", Lyra inquires further, raising one eyebrow. "Indeed... I don't know where to begin...", Zhongli confirms.

"Hey, over here! Mr. Zhongli, I was looking for you!", they hear a voice behind them. They turn to see a fatui recruit. "Oh great... the fatui...", Lyra mutters, rolling her eyes.

"Ah, there is no need to act this way. I am merely an archaeological researcher from Snezhnaya. I am not here for trouble.", the recruit reassures.

"That's what they all say before they stab us in the back.", Lyra spits, looking the recruit up and down.

"But this time I registered with the Liyue ministry of civil affairs. I could show you official documentation if you want to see it.", the recruit defends. "I will be conducting an archaeological survey here, the results of which will all be shared with the ministry. I heard that Wangsheng funeral parlour had a consultant named Zhongli with immense knowledge on ancient history and archaeology. So, I paid the parlour a handsome amount to hire Zhongli as my own consultant while I'm in town.", he explains.

"So you mean to say that this is work for the parlour, yes?", Zhongli clarifies. "Oh great...", Lyra says, tone sarcastic, while rolling her eyes.

"Well, since it's work, I don't have a choice. a consultant of Wangsheng funeral parlour must respect their duty.", "Zhongli says. "Of, course, you would be such a reasonable man! Well then, let's head out now, shall we?", the fatui recruit says.

"Wait, if you are studying archaeology, can I go too? I am also a scholar in this field, so I can help.", Wanyan cuts in. "That will give us a chance to continue the topic we were just discussing.", Zhongli agrees.

"Hold on a minute. If you hired Zhongli, then I am also in this. And as such I would like to know who we are working with.", Lyra says.

"This is- wait, this is an archaeological expedition, not a tour group! That's too many people!", the fatui recruit exclaims.

"Oh, I know a lot more than most when it comes to history. Don't underestimate me just because I am young. Besides, we still don't know your name.", Lyra remarks.

"That is correct. Besides that, if she spies a treasure chest, she will absolutely find a way to open it. And as she said, if we are working with history, you will find that we work better together than if you only had me join you.", Zhongli adds.

"Well... that is quite exciting. Alright then. My name is Kliment. Now that that's out of the way, there's no time to waste. Wen the overlord of the vortex was crushed by the Jade chamber recently, perhaps something of interest was washed ashore...", the recruit starts.

"An ancient artefact would be good, traces of ancient activity would be great, but a piece of the god's limb would be even better... who knows what surprises we may find...?"

~•~•~